• You cannot reply to this topic

Nice auction or what? Introducing major after having found minor fit

#1 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-December-26, 17:50

https://tinyurl.com/y9geex6t
So GIB (partner) open 1 and RHO bids 2. I had a balanced 8-count with five spades.
With a human partner I would have doubled, intended to correct 2red to 2, but I think GIB expects a stronger hand for that, so I did what GIB would have done: raising diamonds on a 3-card suit and then hoping to show spades later.

So partner invites with 3, I bid 3 (apparently showing 4+ spades), and partner raises with its 3-card support, despite having double stoppers in the enemy suit. Maybe it reasons that I won't have four hearts since I didn't double, so with the singleton hearts it avoids 3nt?

I think (but maybe you disagree?) that this is a reasonable way to bid with GIB. Would you consider the same with a human partner? Would partner understand that you are showing spade length, not some notrump probe?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#2 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-27, 04:59

Always hard to know what the robots are going to do.
I gave it to the ones on the Prime teaching table and after doubling got this auction. After causing the damage I left it to the robots to fight out - South did very nicely.
Unsurprisingly, passing - which South did when left to its own devices - was a really bad idea.
Strangely, the teaching table robot (East anyway) seems to be a little more excitable than your robots (unless you have changed the names to protect the innocent Posted Image). After reproducing your auction, East still doubled. Not a very good teacher!
I suspect the lesson is that - like oils - not all GIB's are the same.

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-December-27, 13:43

helene_t 'So GIB (partner) open 1 and RHO bids 2. I had a balanced 8-count with five spades. With a human partner I would have doubled, intended to correct 2red to 2, but I think GIB expects a stronger hand for that, so I did what GIB would have done: raising diamonds on a 3-card suit and then hoping to show spades later.So partner invites with 3, I bid 3 (apparently showing 4+ spades), and partner raises with its 3-card support, despite having double stoppers in the enemy suit. Maybe it reasons that I won't have four hearts since I didn't double, so with the singleton hearts it avoids 3nt? I think (but maybe you disagree?) that this is a reasonable way to bid with GIB. Would you consider the same with a human partner? Would partner understand that you are showing spade length, not some notrump probe?'
++++++++++++++++++++++++
I rank:
1. Doube = NEG then 2 but
2. Helene_t's actions seems aggressive but reasonable with a human partner and illustrate her good rapport with GIB.

#4 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-27, 21:51

addendum: of course the East robot on the teaching table may be in need of a tranquillizer:
https://tinyurl.com/y8tgb2vn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users