• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Adobe Flash Player

#1 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2020-December-26, 06:02

I've just had a message flashed up on my screen from software provider Adobe saying their Flash Player
is ending on December 31st 2020. Will this affect BBO? If so,will there be a replacement/substitute?
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-December-26, 07:46

This has been known for years so most browsers are also ceasing support of Flash Player in their next release or update. Some, like Microsoft Edge, will allow to use Flash Player on a site-by-site basis even though it is disabled by default.

BBO moved away from using Flash Player by default a long time ago although it still makes this version of the client available. So if you go to bridgebase.com and login to play, you will not be using Flash unless you click on 'Click here for the old, Flash version'.

The Android and Apple apps do not use Flash.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   Pianosteve 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-January-20, 17:04

View Postpaulg, on 2020-December-26, 07:46, said:

This has been known for years so most browsers are also ceasing support of Flash Player in their next release or update. Some, like Microsoft Edge, will allow to use Flash Player on a site-by-site basis even though it is disabled by default.

BBO moved away from using Flash Player by default a long time ago although it still makes this version of the client available. So if you go to bridgebase.com and login to play, you will not be using Flash unless you click on 'Click here for the old, Flash version'.

The Android and Apple apps do not use Flash.

I can't get the old version anymore and for me this site is ruined. I could see everything at a glance and could play the Robot Races far quicker. Is there any way to get the old setup back?

#4 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-January-20, 17:27

View PostPianosteve, on 2021-January-20, 17:04, said:

I can't get the old version anymore and for me this site is ruined. I could see everything at a glance and could play the Robot Races far quicker. Is there any way to get the old setup back?

No. This isn't anything to do with BBO - it's impossible to use Flash on any website.

#5 User is offline   Pianosteve 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-January-20, 17:40

View Postsmerriman, on 2021-January-20, 17:27, said:

No. This isn't anything to do with BBO - it's impossible to use Flash on any website.

Thank you for the reply.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users