BBO Discussion Forums: Lost connection all devise and web - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lost connection all devise and web

#1 User is offline   Mycroft RH 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-December-13, 23:05

I have been using BBO for some time including tournaments. Recently I lose the connection approx 30 seconds after logging on to BBO. This happens on multiple android devices and both chrome and edge browser (I logged on via edge for the first time specifically to test this and the connection dropped in the first 30 seconds).

I can log on using a phone connection with wifi turned off. I have done a reset on the modem to no avail.

#2 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-December-13, 23:27

Have you tried plugging into your router with an ethernet cable? Sounds like a poor wifi connection.

#3 User is offline   couchpckrs 

• Pip

Posted 2020-December-14, 06:27

View PostMycroft RH, on 2020-December-13, 23:05, said:

I have been using BBO for some time including tournaments. Recently I lose the connection approx 30 seconds after logging on to BBO. This happens on multiple android devices and both chrome and edge browser (I logged on via edge for the first time specifically to test this and the connection dropped in the first 30 seconds).

I can log on using a phone connection with wifi turned off. I have done a reset on the modem to no avail.

-------
Sounds like BBO growing pains to me. I believe the BBO staff has struggled to meet demand resulting from covid loss of access to live bridge. In my opinion, BBO has done well to meet the surge in demand for service. Remember also that BBO's primary concern is to make profit for the company: User satisfaction may be a close second priority, but it is not 'top priority'.

#4 User is offline   couchpckrs 

• Pip

Posted 2020-December-14, 06:36

View Postsmerriman, on 2020-December-13, 23:27, said:

Have you tried plugging into your router with an ethernet cable? Sounds like a poor wifi connection.

It may indeed be poor wifi connection. Based on the number of my friends who have had connection problems with BBO since March 2020, I suspect the problem may well be with BBO: connecting to router by ethernet cable instead of wifi would be good diagnostic.

#5 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-14, 09:58

One thing I know happens is that if you swap wifi networks, it kicks you out. That includes going from phone data to wifi (if you're "on the edge", your phone will switch as it thinks it needs to); and from 2.4 to 5 on the "same" network (again, if your phone thinks the 5GHz signal is better, it can switch). Newer routers have integrated switching (it's "all one network, but you'll use the right one"); I know I was told to turn that off by one internet provider since we had many iThings on our network, and Apple doesn't handle that well. It could be that BBO handles it as a network change as well.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#6 User is offline   maryob713 

• Pip

Posted 2020-December-14, 14:02

Google had a huge outage on all its services last night. This could be a result.

#7 User is offline   parkera80 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-February-24, 10:13

I have a related question, I hope it is appropriate to add it here.

My wife and I play on BBO together in the same house but on different floors. We both use notebook computers conncted by WiFi to the modem-rooter. Recently my wife has started to have problems with frequently loosing connection and having to log back in. If I am host of the table I can hold the seat but otherwise I have to leave the table to find her again. It is now at the level that playing 24 boards she looses connection 5 or 6 times, sometimes more.

Using an internet speed testing website I can see that the connection at her computer is not as good as she is further from the modem. However the difference is not large. I assume that down and upload speeds are irrelevent (more than 10 Mb each) but can anyone tell me what ping time and jitter are acceptable for BBO to operate without loosing connection?

THank you.

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-24, 11:04

Having migrated an entire bridge club to BBO last year, I can confirm that BBO is more sensitive to WiFi problems than many other web applications are. This is paradoxical considering that only messages of a few bytes with no particular time constraints are involved. Wiring computers to the router or adding range extenders to the WiFi network usually fixed things.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-February-25, 10:21

BBO is not like a typical web application, because it's an interactive game that requires continuous communication with the browser, and the server has a significant amount of memory devoted to each logged in user. To avoid tying up memory for disconnected users, it expects to hear something from the client every 30 seconds or so (if the user doesn't click or type anything, the client sends an empty message to tell the server it's still there).

If you have a flaky connection and these messages are delayed, the server thinks you've been disconnected and logs you out.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users