Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

punishment for ZT violation

#1 User is offline   Keene_JP 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-December-12, 16:14

Is there any way to punish a pair for a Zero Tolerance violation?
In an in-the-flesh tournament, typical would be to deduct some matchpoints from final score.
Is that possible here?
If not, any other ideas?

Also - if not, maybe this should be added.

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-December-13, 03:23

It should be possible to deduct points/IMPs for all the cases where the laws foresee a PP, not just for violations of regulations. This has obviously been requested often before, the last time I was told by a developer that it was difficult to implement.

Obviously, the other idea is to expel the offender from the tournament, but that would almost always be excessive.

#3 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-13, 05:05

depending on how abusive a person or pair was ejection is the best method. Zero tolerance means ZERO.

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-December-13, 06:36

View Postmcphee, on 2020-December-13, 05:05, said:

depending on how abusive a person or pair was ejection is the best method.

If it depends on how badly they behave but offers no choice, then it can hardly be the best method.
It might sometimes be justified. What about the lesser offences?

#5 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2020-December-13, 10:58

"The point" behind ZT is that there are no lesser offences (or at least, if you "allow" the lesser offences, the bullies learn they can go "this far" without punishment).

While "I'm not touching you, it's not wrong" is definitely a bully tactic, using ZT as a bully is also a tactic, a very effective one.

If it also looks like the minimum punishment is massively over, then the "let's let this one go" becomes what happens. That's also bad.

It's why I believe that ZT (as opposed to very low T) is the wrong way to go. And that there should be punishments that are "this will stop, right?" that aren't "you're gone" or "the TDs took my win away from me for something meaningless".

Unfortunately, in BBO tournaments, there is no adjustment that can be made (without importing the scores to ACBLScore, adding the adjustment, and posting. Not sure that's even available for clubs). So my warning (would be) "do that again in my game, ever, and you're gone, and you aren't coming back next week either."
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users