BBO Discussion Forums: Aggressive Weak Jump Overcall? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Aggressive Weak Jump Overcall? Do they really look like this?

#1 User is offline   svengolly 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-December-14, 21:07

Posted Image

Should I expect this kind of hand from GIB in the future? 5 losers, 11HCP, good controls and the bid is described as an Aggressive Weak Jump Overcall. Really? I've seen GIB do the AWJO on far worse hands. Why didn't it just bid 1H? Maybe you can fault my pass but now I don't know what constitutes an AWJO. Yeah the field was in 4H or 4S so obviously they expected this sort of thing.

#2 User is online   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2020-December-14, 21:43

Hmmm ... Double Jump Vulnerable? Obviously it is NOT a WJO.

If you count tricks you might raise?
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#3 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-December-14, 21:45

Preempts are one area where GIB really does change its bid based on vulnerability. White v white, red v white, and white v red it overcalls 1 with that hand; only 3 when red v red.

While I agree 3 is silly, the answer to your question is yes; when GIB is vulnerable you can be confident its preempts are based on pretty good hands. I can't think of any hand GIB would bid 3 here where you don't want to be in game.

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-December-14, 22:09

Yeah that's not a WJO. It may be questionable to bid 4 vulnerable on xx-AJTxxxx-xx-xx, but that's what one would expect for something called an "aggresive" WJO.

I am not sure if the field expects such a hand. I certainly wouldn't. But it's a reasonable gamble that you just have three minor suit losers. And if you have more than three minor suit losers, you have to hope for a spade lead.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   svengolly 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-14, 23:21

View PostPrecisionL, on 2020-December-14, 21:43, said:

Hmmm ... Double Jump Vulnerable? Obviously it is NOT a WJO.

If you count tricks you might raise?

The bid was described as an AWJO when I clicked on it just to be sure. Obviously from looking at the hands it was anything but WEAK.

#6 User is offline   svengolly 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-14, 23:28

View Postsmerriman, on 2020-December-14, 21:45, said:

Preempts are one area where GIB really does change its bid based on vulnerability. White v white, red v white, and white v red it overcalls 1 with that hand; only 3 when red v red.

While I agree 3 is silly, the answer to your question is yes; when GIB is vulnerable you can be confident its preempts are based on pretty good hands. I can't think of any hand GIB would bid 3 here where you don't want to be in game.

That's a ridiculous scheme. What's the point? Chew up bidding room with great hands so there's less room to figure out the right contract? It might make sense if the bid description said R v R it's something different.

Well at least I learned what to expect. GIB drives me crazy because it doesn't play real world bridge yet the ACBL pretends it does and awards masterpoints for learning the weirdness.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users