Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Precarious contract Bot takes me to the 5-level

#1 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-December-03, 06:26

This was Board 4 in yesterday's daylong. IMPs, Human South, all other seats occupied by bots.

I reach this precarious contract. I get a opening lead on which I start discarding dummy's clubs. The play proceeds as follows:
#1 - 6 - 4 - 10 - A
#2 - K - 7 - 5 - 8
#3 - Q - J - 7 - 3

Questions:
A. Was my 2NT rebid a poor choice? Do people prefer 2 instead?
B. How should I continue to bring in the 11 tricks?
C. Did I err in the first three tricks? (Perhaps I should have started playing spades sooner?)

Please help with inputs / comments. My actual play and the full hand is in the spoiler below

Spoiler

#2 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-03, 07:48

I don't think you're getting this right without self kibitzing, although often E will let you off the hook.

You basically have to read E's shape from the start or if he gives you a second chance.

#3 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2020-December-03, 10:04

A. I prefer your actual 2NT to 2S by a mile. You have a balanced 22 count (with 5 spades)

C. Not so sure about your play to tricks 2 and 3. The discards don't really help, because if the club finesse works, the small clubs that have been discarded are winners anyway. However, being able to get to hand by ruffing a diamond might be useful

[spoiler alert]

B. Your explanation does not say whether the JH was captured or ducked. If it was captured, then (not having played three rounds of diamonds) I think you could make the contract by ruffing a diamond over to hand, draw trumps, cross with a spade, club finesse (loses to Ace), win east's exit in dummy and repeat the club finesse.

If JH was ducked, then I think east can beat you by returning spades and cutting communications e.g
CJ round to Ace
spade back
ruff diamond
QH beaten by King
spade back
now you are stuck on dummy and you can either ruff a diamond to hand, draw the last trump and play clubs from hand, or (better chance of making but unsuccessful this time) repeat the club finesse, suffering a ruff

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-03, 11:39

View PostDouglas43, on 2020-December-03, 10:04, said:

A. I prefer your actual 2NT to 2S by a mile. You have a balanced 22 count (with 5 spades)

C. Not so sure about your play to tricks 2 and 3. The discards don't really help, because if the club finesse works, the small clubs that have been discarded are winners anyway. However, being able to get to hand by ruffing a diamond might be useful

[spoiler alert]

B. Your explanation does not say whether the JH was captured or ducked. If it was captured, then (not having played three rounds of diamonds) I think you could make the contract by ruffing a diamond over to hand, draw trumps, cross with a spade, club finesse (loses to Ace), win east's exit in dummy and repeat the club finesse.

If JH was ducked, then I think east can beat you by returning spades and cutting communications e.g
CJ round to Ace
spade back
ruff diamond
QH beaten by King
spade back
now you are stuck on dummy and you can either ruff a diamond to hand, draw the last trump and play clubs from hand, or (better chance of making but unsuccessful this time) repeat the club finesse, suffering a ruff

I think your analysis is wrong, win K, cash A and exit a spade would seem to beat the contract as you can't get back to hand without promoting a trump.

If the J is ducked, cash 2 spades then run the club endplaying W to get you back to hand

#5 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2020-December-04, 06:00

Thanks Cyberyeti, spot on with that second line if HJ is ducked, neat move, I hadn't seen that.

On your first comment though, I had assumed that the AKQ of diamonds had not all been cashed first (so ruffing a diamond is a way back to hand).

All the best

#6 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-05, 01:54

bidding over 4!H is just foolish.We had a rule in my early days of playing,hen partner does something dumb in the bidding and you reach this contract they have to play the hand. 50% slams are bad at imps a looking for a magic fit slams are even worse;

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users