Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Flashplayer

#1 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-December-02, 13:23

Flashplayer will be removed from all web browsers at the end of the month. As it stands now new users cannot register on the forums unless they have Flash downloaded. What happens on 1/1/2021?

#2 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-02, 13:41

You can create an account on BBO without needing flash..

It just seems like when you're logged out, the forum message telling you that you need to create a BBO account links to the old version, so that just needs the URL updated to point to the new one.

Though I doubt anyone really tries to register for the forum before registering for BBO itself, so it's highly unlikely anyone clicks that link anyway.

#3 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-02, 21:06

View Postsmerriman, on 2020-December-02, 13:41, said:

You can create an account on BBO without needing flash..

It just seems like when you're logged out, the forum message telling you that you need to create a BBO account links to the old version, so that just needs the URL updated to point to the new one.

Though I doubt anyone really tries to register for the forum before registering for BBO itself, so it's highly unlikely anyone clicks that link anyway.

OK. Sign out of the forums, call up forums.bridgebase.com on Chrome or Edge, click the Register button on the upper right and see what happens.

#4 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-02, 21:52

View PostChas_P, on 2020-December-02, 21:06, said:

OK. Sign out of the forums, call up forums.bridgebase.com on Chrome or Edge, click the Register button on the upper right and see what happens.

That's exactly what I'm referring to in my message above. That link is wrong and should point to the main BBO website (as I stated).

But as mentioned, the chances are that everyone who arrives at the BBO forums for the firstime already has a BBO account, which is probably why nobody has noticed so far.

#5 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-03, 06:42

View Postsmerriman, on 2020-December-02, 21:52, said:

That's exactly what I'm referring to in my message above. That link is wrong and should point to the main BBO website (as I stated).

But as mentioned, the chances are that everyone who arrives at the BBO forums for the firstime already has a BBO account, which is probably why nobody has noticed so far.

The only reason I bring it up is that I had a player complain to me about something he felt was missing from the software. I told him to make his suggestion on the forums. He said he'd tried that and couldn't register. I didn't believe him so I tried it on Chrome, the screen comes up "Launch Bridge Base Online", I clicked it and got "plug in blocked". So I tried it on Edge and got the same thing. I tried it on Firefox and got directed to the site to download Flash.

So what I'm saying is new users cannot register on the forums unless they're using Firefox and even that won't be possible after the first of the year.

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-03, 07:26

I think you are both saying the same thing, just taking different things for granted.
The "Register now!" choice is broken both because it says "An Error Occurred" and because the link it provides to "Open BBO and become a member" is to an obsolete flash version.
The problem is not blocking because if you already have a BBO account then you do not need to register for the forum, you can just log in (far from obvious).

#7 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-03, 08:15

View Postpescetom, on 2020-December-03, 07:26, said:

The problem is not blocking because if you already have a BBO account then you do not need to register for the forum, you can just log in (far from obvious).

OK, got it. Thanks.

#8 User is offline   jibsheet 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-December-08, 08:57

View PostChas_P, on 2020-December-03, 08:15, said:

OK, got it. Thanks.

The web browser block of flash can (for now) be changed. With Edge for example go to "settings", "cookies and site permissions", "Adobe Flash", then change the setting from off to "ask before running". I do not know what will happen after December.

#9 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-08, 16:01

View Postjibsheet, on 2020-December-08, 08:57, said:

I do not know what will happen after December.

It will not work. Ever again. RIP, it did a good job in its time.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users