• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you bid?

#1 User is offline   Dinarius 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-November-26, 09:45

What do you now bid as East?

Scoring is IMPs.(Do you bid differently at MPs?)

Partnership agreement may come into your choice.

Yes, your void in partner's suit is not good, but you have wonderful playing strength if a fit can be found.Do you Pass and risk not finding a red suit fit over a 3 bid by South?

While considering your response, this is interesting.

D.

#2 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-26, 10:26

MISFIT. PASS. Strength by distribution only. If partner cannot open again balance then you have not lost any ground. South also pressured to make bid also.

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-November-26, 10:38

I would double, if partner bids 2 I'm wrong.

#4 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-26, 16:58

Nice distribution and 2 probably useful K’s but need of extras from partner to make game, given the C losers and the S void that nullifies partner’s honors in that suit.

If partner doesn’t bid something, meaning he has some C too and a not so strong opening, well, we are not losing a lot. 2C minus something vs. a making H partial.

If partner Xes, all good. 4H, nous voilà !

If partner more likely rebids S, well, too bad. At least it won’t be at the 4 level, what he would do if I X, with a half decent 6-cd suit and 15 HCP.

So a reluctant pass, but hoping the battle is not over.

And if unexpectedly LHO fits 3C and partner passes, I have a difficult bid, since there is no 3 and a half H sign in the bidding box.

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2020-November-26, 18:28

Pass

Pass, pass, pass.

Partner will rebid 2S with 6=3 majors, or 5=2, if we double.

Partner will pass 2C out only with club length, which not only means we have club losers but also reduces the chances of his also having hearts.

Meanwhile, partner will reopen with short clubs. I’ll bid 3H over both a reopening double and 2S. Very close to 4H but there are a lot of reasonable 5=3=3=2 hands for partner where 4H has zero play, since the 2C bidder will often have a 6 card suit.

AQJxx Axx Qxx xx

3H will show something like this hand (not the void, but the suit length and approximate hand value)

In the unlikely event that LHO bids 3C over my pass, and partner passes, again I have an easy 3H call

Finally, one should strive to pass in tempo. If you can’t do that, then you may be causing your partner a serious problem (if he or she is ethical) should he or she hold a borderline reopening hand. And, if your partner is prone to ethical lapses, you may run afoul of the director.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-November-26, 19:03

Mike is right for strong NT 5M, I'm so used to playing what I play that because AQJxx Axx Qxx xx is a 1N opener, partner either has 6 spades or another 4 card suit or both if minimum ish which shifts the odds on X.

#7 User is offline   Dinarius 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-27, 02:59

View Postmikeh, on 2020-November-26, 18:28, said:

Pass

Pass, pass, pass.

Partner will rebid 2S with 6=3 majors, or 5=2, if we double.

Partner will pass 2C out only with club length, which not only means we have club losers but also reduces the chances of his also having hearts.

Meanwhile, partner will reopen with short clubs. I’ll bid 3H over both a reopening double and 2S. Very close to 4H but there are a lot of reasonable 5=3=3=2 hands for partner where 4H has zero play, since the 2C bidder will often have a 6 card suit.

AQJxx Axx Qxx xx

3H will show something like this hand (not the void, but the suit length and approximate hand value)

In the unlikely event that LHO bids 3C over my pass, and partner passes, again I have an easy 3H call

Finally, one should strive to pass in tempo. If you can’t do that, then you may be causing your partner a serious problem (if he or she is ethical) should he or she hold a borderline reopening hand. And, if your partner is prone to ethical lapses, you may run afoul of the director.

I take your points re passing.

But, I'm confused as to why you will bid 3 over partner's 2. (I have no issue with 3 over partner's reopening double. That's obligatory.) 3 over 2 strikes me as asking for trouble at red v. green. Even at green v. green, I want to try and make a possible plus score in 2.

Thanks.

D.

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-27, 07:34

Partner is likely to have something in hearts, while you have nothing in spades. Which is what he should expect if you pass and then bid 3!H over a reopening in spades.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#9 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-November-27, 08:42

I pass and give partner a chance to bid again. Yes bidding hearts or doubling might work beautifully if partner has support, but it will also be dreadful if partner bids his spades again. If you play partner for the perfect hand, you will end up disappointed most of the time. It is more of a question what to do if South raises to 3 and it is passed round to you, then it is more tempting to bid 3 as we then certainly have at least an eight card fit, and hearts is where it is most likely.

#10 User is offline   Dinarius 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-27, 09:46

View PostAL78, on 2020-November-27, 08:42, said:

I pass and give partner a chance to bid again. Yes bidding hearts or doubling might work beautifully if partner has support, but it will also be dreadful if partner bids his spades again. If you play partner for the perfect hand, you will end up disappointed most of the time. It is more of a question what to do if South raises to 3 and it is passed round to you, then it is more tempting to bid 3 as we then certainly have at least an eight card fit, and hearts is where it is most likely.

Assuming a bid of 3 comes round to you, then 3 seems very risky at red, I think.

D.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users