BBO Discussion Forums: Play this Hand w/ Me - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play this Hand w/ Me Can you Guess Right (or avoid any guess?)

#1 User is offline   jgillispie 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Women
    Food
    Balloons
    Birding
    Magic
    Math/Sciences

Posted 2020-November-20, 20:54

East leads the 2. Plan the play.

Here's the link to the actual hand.
(No comment)

#2 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-November-20, 22:06

Well, clearly there's no reason not to duck the first two hearts.

While there are ways to put East on lead, they might have 4 hearts and I'd look pretty silly when I had 9 top tricks. So I'll try two top tricks in each black suit.

Assuming both follow, I'll play the third top trick in each black suit. If I don't have 9 tricks yet, I'll play my last card in whichever 4 card black suit East holds, and hope they have 3 hearts and have to lead away from a diamond honor (and that I guess which it is).

Maybe there's something better.

#3 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-21, 00:34

Setting aside the real problem, which is how you would manage to combine all of your esoteric interests into one delightful evening of calculated fun and mayhem: I count 8 tricks off the top.
The only risk is that West has Hearts and Clubs.
I would let the 2 run to the Jack - no harm in trying.
and then play - as recommended by smerriman - Diamonds Spades and Clubs ballooning the 2 to the queen if the Jack is still on the board.

Of course, it depends a bit on whether it's matchpoints or IMP's, and if I've just eaten and if I'm holding a balloon or...

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-21, 04:08

What jump overcalls are the opps playing ?

It looks like hearts are 6-3 (I think E raises with 4 hearts and nothing else much of the time) and W has K to give him enough for the overcall. Squeeze possibilities are limited as you can't rectify the count, and if E holds both blacks, N is squeezed first.

I think your best option is to duck the first 2 tricks, win the A cash 3 tricks in each black suit (you actually cash 2 in each first to check for 5-1 breaks), and when you don't get any good news, exit in one of them, E can cash the other black winner then has to lead a diamond, and as long as he has the J you're home.

The most successful line is to go for E to hold J from the start, and run Q, when W covers this, you exit to E's J and make 10 but you'd feel an idiot if W had KJ and one of the black suits split.

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-November-21, 10:28

JGllispie 'East leads the 2. Plan the play. Here's the link to the actual hand.'
++++++++++++++++++++
SMerrriman and CyberYeti seem to have cracked it . If LHO shows out on AQ, then you continue with A. and AK. Now, (depending on how you read defenders' cards) you might -
- Play for 3-3 or...
- Finesse T or...
- Exit in , winning when RHO's hand-shape is 5314.or 5305 :)

#6 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-21, 12:46

View Postnige1, on 2020-November-21, 10:28, said:

JGllispie 'East leads the 2. Plan the play. Here's the link to the actual hand.'
++++++++++++++++++++
SMerrriman and CyberYeti seem to have cracked it . If LHO shows out on AQ, then you continue with A. and AK. Now, (depending on how you read defenders' cards) you might -
- Play for 3-3 or...
- Finesse T or...
- Exit in , winning when RHO's hand-shape is 5314.or 5305 :)

If you decide he's 5314 you can win regardless of what his singleton is by cashing the A. before exiting the spade (or if W's singleton spade was the J or 10 you can see if the clubs break and then cash A before exiting a club).

There are various possibilities.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users