BBO Discussion Forums: Question about double dummy as standard or par - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Question about double dummy as standard or par

#21 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-November-21, 07:40

View Posthrothgar, on 2020-November-21, 07:07, said:

As far as I am aware of, the only really serious work going on in formally studying bridge these days is the stuff that NUKK-AI is doing over in France, however, they are much more focused on areas around semantics, language, and how to exchanging information between people and computers.

Thanks.
I had a look at this site but it seems both vague and a little old.
Is there some more concrete stuff somewhere?

Does this have anything to do with a new bridge robot that I have heard rumours about?

#22 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-November-22, 21:21

View Posthrothgar, on 2020-November-21, 07:07, said:

I did my original block of graduate work in mathematical economics, focusing on game theory, however, that's now close to 30 years back. I'm really not up on recent developments in the field.

With this said and done, my impression is that you aren't going to see much serious work on game theory within the confines of bridge.

As far as I am aware of, the only really serious work going on in formally studying bridge these days is the stuff that NUKK-AI is doing over in France, however, they are much more focused on areas around semantics, language, and how to exchanging information between people and computers.

Thx Richard

I was particularly interested in the area you mention with relation to bidding strategies, especially in different competition types etc

One observation, as I browse and try to find what has been done, is that it is, at least to me, rather too skewed towards the engineering/physics side of mathematics. Other aspects of maths are lost, as are all the other relevant disciplines such as psychology.

I do think something with as many dimensions as Bridge deserves a more exciting and diverse research focus and literature, but maybe as you say all those who would be interested or capable of writing such literature are more interested in playing. I also didn't realise they were actually prevented from doing it too.

Thx for the ref to NUKK-AI. From what I can see they are looking at explanation of AI as part of their stuff. Thats an area I actually have a little experience in from the start of my career (too long ago to mention).

Its good to see a slightly different focus. I find the attention of so many methods in certain types of simulation and algorithms actual loses a large part of a problem/application area. I think that is the case is so many areas of analytics. I have, elsewhere, expressed concerns about the way certain technical disciplines have taken control of so many areas of life, or are restricting thought, and discussion.

I have a few more thoughts or questions. Still editing if you wonder where my comments went. There are many things I would like to say on this and so many other areas but I am finding I need extra caution everywhere these days :)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users