BBO Discussion Forums: Running a multi session tournament - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Running a multi session tournament

#1 User is offline   ahtan 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-November-03, 02:43

Hi, I'm a relatively new TD who's gotten rights to host tournaments provided I charge BB$. As a result, I feel I can't freely experiment with my "customers" 8-). Hence the question.

I would like to run something that is swiss-like, in the sense that better players will get "promoted", but more managed. I've been told if I had opted for swiss, pairs might end up meeting more than once if the number of tables is small.

It will be run over 3 tournaments in 2 rounds. The first tournament (Round 1) is to be run in full howell in order to provide me a basis for splitting the field into 2 sections by performance. I then run a 2nd and 3rd tournament (Round 2), also with full howell, simultaneously with a common predealt hands to get winners in the 2 sections.

Questions.
1. I probably can get 8 to 10 tables. In round 1, with 10 tables, that will be 19 rounds. Is there a problem if I set the boards per round to be 1? i.e. total bds is 19. Does the howell setting behave with this number of tables?

2. Am i able to start 2 tournaments at the same time?

3. How will I manage my include list (in round 2, different people go to a different tournament)? A subsidiary question would be : I just tried loading my include list using the Web interface to load via file, but the IDs don't show up on the display, but do manage to download the IDs. I don't know if my include list is working or not.

4. Can I specify both round 2 tournaments to be referencing the same pre-dealt hand folder?

Thanks very much in advance!

#2 User is offline   kenjay 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-November-03, 04:58

View Postahtan, on 2020-November-03, 02:43, said:

Hi, I'm a relatively new TD who's gotten rights to host tournaments provided I charge BB$. As a result, I feel I can't freely experiment with my "customers" 8-). Hence the question.

I would like to run something that is swiss-like, in the sense that better players will get "promoted", but more managed. I've been told if I had opted for swiss, pairs might end up meeting more than once if the number of tables is small.

It will be run over 3 tournaments in 2 rounds. The first tournament (Round 1) is to be run in full howell in order to provide me a basis for splitting the field into 2 sections by performance. I then run a 2nd and 3rd tournament (Round 2), also with full howell, simultaneously with a common predealt hands to get winners in the 2 sections.

Questions.
1. I probably can get 8 to 10 tables. In round 1, with 10 tables, that will be 19 rounds. Is there a problem if I set the boards per round to be 1? i.e. total bds is 19. Does the howell setting behave with this number of tables?

2. Am i able to start 2 tournaments at the same time?

3. How will I manage my include list (in round 2, different people go to a different tournament)? A subsidiary question would be : I just tried loading my include list using the Web interface to load via file, but the IDs don't show up on the display, but do manage to download the IDs. I don't know if my include list is working or not.

4. Can I specify both round 2 tournaments to be referencing the same pre-dealt hand folder?

Thanks very much in advance!

Why not just run a 10 table Mitchell 2 boards/round in Round 1 Then take top 5 N/S and top 5 E/W and 2nd round run a 5 table full howell 9 rounds for these pairs for round 2 and similarly the same for the bottom half E/Ws. Yes you can run 2 sessions together unless you are restricted. in 2nd round of course pairs will probable play against pairs they played in round 1. Of course that is 38 boards in total, and, yes you can use same deal file for 2 tournaments Of course i may be misunderstanding you.

#3 User is offline   ahtan 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-November-03, 20:52

View Postkenjay, on 2020-November-03, 04:58, said:

Why not just run a 10 table Mitchell 2 boards/round in Round 1 Then take top 5 N/S and top 5 E/W and 2nd round run a 5 table full howell 9 rounds for these pairs for round 2 and similarly the same for the bottom half E/Ws. Yes you can run 2 sessions together unless you are restricted. in 2nd round of course pairs will probable play against pairs they played in round 1. Of course that is 38 boards in total, and, yes you can use same deal file for 2 tournaments Of course i may be misunderstanding you.

Thanks for replying! Yes, I could run a mitchell for round 1. But my intention is social as well - my club has been disperse all over the place this pandemic (some not playing at all, some playing at various BBO venues). I have only recently gotten this and have to compete with the free tournaments. So this is a "special event" where I want to get most people in the club, and I intend to have every pair meet every other pair where possible. i.e. its partly social by design.

I gather from your response that its all possible except for the include list, for which you didn't answer. I see from elsewhere in this forum that I would have to create a include list for the first tournament, create and save the first one. Then do the same for the second. Then never modify the tournament again unless I want to re-manipulate the lists (which is a pain).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users