• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Explain explained Some explanations are useless

#1 User is offline   morecharac 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Cyclothymic dilettantism

Posted 2020-October-31, 09:49

I'd like an Explain entry line for inquiring further after receiving an incomplete or useless explanation. Barring that, the ability to chat with a specific opponent without the other suddenly receiving a chat that might remind them of playing a particular convention with their partner.

Examples:

1) Jump shift outside of competition. Ask for explanation, get something useless like [suit they just bid]. No way to ask whether they're playing it strong or weak without getting the attention of their partner.

2) Defense over 1NT, receive only "long suit" without a clue as to whether the bid specifies that suit or not.

3) 1NT opener, strength not Alerted, would also like to know whether they bid NT with a singleton.

#2 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-October-31, 11:52

you can write to a specific opponent without writing to "opponents".

if you hit "explain" again, you might get a better explanation, and again, explainer's partner won't see it. The problems with "hit explain again", however:
  • If the player thinks that's a sufficient explanation they certainly won't understand what more you're asking for
  • because of the odd UI, many people hit the "explain" button thinking it is a "close explanation" button, so many players are used to "it comes up again" meaning "I don't know the UI"

In both cases, the bidder will just assume you don't have a clue, and return the explanation they already gave.

Private message to one opponent avoids all this because you can ask the specific question. The only problem is that users on phones tend to minimize chat and they don't see your private message. It's still the best option.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2020-October-31, 12:18

View Postmycroft, on 2020-October-31, 11:52, said:

if you hit "explain" again, you might get a better explanation, and again, explainer's partner won't see it. The problems with "hit explain again", however:
  • If the player thinks that's a sufficient explanation they certainly won't understand what more you're asking for
  • because of the odd UI, many people hit the "explain" button thinking it is a "close explanation" button, so many players are used to "it comes up again" meaning "I don't know the UI"

In both cases, the bidder will just assume you don't have a clue, and return the explanation they already gave.

Sadly true. The best solution of course would be for BBO to improve the UI, both making it more intuitive and allowing questions as the OP requests.

View Postmycroft, on 2020-October-31, 11:52, said:

Private message to one opponent avoids all this because you can ask the specific question. The only problem is that users on phones tend to minimize chat and they don't see your private message. It's still the best option.

I've not had much success with it. If you ask the opponent who gave the insufficient explanation he will often not reply (for whatever reason), or reply to table. If you ask the other opponent he will often ask why you are asking him, perhaps rightly too (there are no regulations that specifically cover this).

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-October-31, 14:24

View Postpescetom, on 2020-October-31, 12:18, said:

I've not had much success with it. If you ask the opponent who gave the insufficient explanation he will often not reply (for whatever reason), or reply to table.

In the Scottish Lockdown Teams, if you tap on an unexplained call, you are likely to shoot yourself in the foot :) As Pescetom explains, the offender normally treats this as justification to enlighten the table, including his partner :)

#5 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2020-October-31, 15:14

View Postnige1, on 2020-October-31, 14:24, said:

In the Scottish Lockdown Teams, if you tap on an unexplained call, you are likely to shoot yourself in the foot :) As Pescetom explains, the offender normally treats this as justification to enlighten the table, including his partner :)

It's a mess, due to lack of on-line laws.
But at least BBO could improve their mechanism to:
- demand an explanation for any self-alert
- offer a 'dismiss' button for pop-up explanations
- offer a 'query' button for pop-up explanations to ask a question about the explanation provided
- disable chat to opponents and table during the auction, eliminating ambiguity and the possibility to transmit UI.

#6 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2020-November-01, 03:25

I agree with mycroft and pescetom's comment about the problem with the explain box. It should have an [X] in top rh corner like any other pop-up. When new to BBO I played an entire hand only able to see half of dummy because I kept hitting [explain] to try to clear it. Worryingly, I played it better than usual..!.

Not so keen on pescetom's last suggestion "disable chat to opponents and table during the auction, eliminating ambiguity and the possibility to transmit UI". In the EBU league games we get some good-mannered "wpo" "thanks for the match" type stuff as well as further enquires.

#7 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2020-November-01, 07:55

View PostDouglas43, on 2020-November-01, 03:25, said:

Not so keen on pescetom's last suggestion "disable chat to opponents and table during the auction, eliminating ambiguity and the possibility to transmit UI". In the EBU league games we get some good-mannered "wpo" "thanks for the match" type stuff as well as further enquires.

I did say "during the auction". I agree that it is nice to be able to chat with opponents between hands.
Of course I was assuming that the system does not throw you all into the next auction without your consent, as BBO currently does.

#8 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2020-November-01, 11:46

It is an artifact of V3 being written for (small) touchscreens (where the "touch anywhere on the box to make it go away" is much more intuitive). Doesn't make it less of a problem.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#9 User is offline   chigal64 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-November-02, 16:52

I hve said this many times but i feel all members should file out their systems and conventions in their profile. It is too hard to guess what their bids mean. There are 4 systems people are using and i would like to know which is theirs.

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-November-03, 15:27

View Postchigal64, on 2020-November-02, 16:52, said:

I hve said this many times but i feel all members should file out their systems and conventions in their profile. It is too hard to guess what their bids mean. There are 4 systems people are using and i would like to know which is theirs.

And if North has a different profile from South, which one are you going to believe?

Agreements apply to pairs, not individual players. The profile is just a hint for prospective partners about what you're willing to play.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users