• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Strong No-Trump? Grand Larceny

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-October-28, 20:18

Rubber Bridge

Karapet, the Unlucky Armenian, always wears belt and braces when he opens 1NT, but he unluckily went for 1000 here. West's double was DONT, and he led the ten of spades. Could Karapet have avoided going for 1000?

RR, North, redoubled to show two touching suits, but Karapet decided to stand it.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   PeterAlan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-October-28, 22:36

The trick target is 6, and a suit contract can't be the answer because of ruffing possibilities. I can't quickly see how to deal with 6-0 s - 3 discards is the problem - and need my sleep, but no worse than 5-1 can be dealt with.

Say s 5-1. The lost tempo means that it does the defence no good to switch, so assume the hand with 5 s has the other Aces too and persists with s whenever in.

When declarer first wins a , play a :

• If this is ducked, switch to a red suit; defence must win (or declarer switches back to s, making 2 s, 1 red card and 3 s). On winning the next , play the other red suit, which the defence must also win. Discard one red card and one club on the defence's 2 long s and make 2 s, 3 red cards and 1

• If the is not ducked, win the next and play a red suit, which the defence must win (or declarer cashes 3 s for 6 tricks). Discard one card from each red suit on the defence's 2 long s, and make a minimum of 2 s, 1 card in the red suit played and 3 s

NB: With s 6-0 the defence still need one trick in the other suits in addition to their Aces to get to 8.

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-October-29, 05:12

'lamford ' Rubber Bridge. Karapet, the Unlucky Armenian, always wears belt and braces when he opens 1NT, but he unluckily went for 1000 here. West's double was DONT, and he led the ten of spades. Could Karapet have avoided going for 1000? RR, North, redoubled to show two touching suits, but Karapet decided to stand it.
++++++++++++++++++++
Unless Karapet guesses defenders' distribution, he doesn't seem to be able to guarantee 6 tricks. :(

#4 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-29, 09:00

View Postnige1, on 2020-October-29, 05:12, said:

'lamford ' Rubber Bridge. Karapet, the Unlucky Armenian, always wears belt and braces when he opens 1NT, but he unluckily went for 1000 here. West's double was DONT, and he led the ten of spades. Could Karapet have avoided going for 1000? RR, North, redoubled to show two touching suits, but Karapet decided to stand it.
++++++++++++++++++++
Unless Karapet guesses defenders' distribution, he doesn't seem to be able to guarantee 6 tricks. :(

West bids 2 (6+ with DONT here. So spade suit break 5-1 only, -400 score.

#5 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2020-October-29, 10:46

View Postnige1, on 2020-October-29, 05:12, said:

++++++++++++++++++++

You are right, and I think Peter is wrong. After a spade lead, East showing out, declarer leads the K and now West wins and clears the spades. South can cash three more clubs but in the ending with KQJ KQJ he has to guess which red suit to play, or he gets squeezed by the last spade if the red aces are split. And it does not help him to not cash the clubs. as this squeeze operates with four losers! I think Karapet cannot avoid going for 1000, as, with his luck, he will never get a 50-50 guess right.

#6 User is offline   PeterAlan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-29, 12:28

View Postlamford, on 2020-October-29, 10:46, said:

I think Peter is wrong.

What do you think I had wrong, Paul? I gave a solution for s 5-1 and said that I was finding 6-0 problematic and why. I began to look at layouts like Nigel's, but at 4:30 wasn't going to spend more time on it before going to sleep. I'm very glad that he has come up with that construction, and congratulate him.

#7 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2020-October-29, 16:28

View PostPeterAlan, on 2020-October-29, 12:28, said:

What do you think I had wrong, Paul? I gave a solution for s 5-1 and said that I was finding 6-0 problematic and why. I began to look at layouts like Nigel's, but at 4:30 wasn't going to spend more time on it before going to sleep. I'm very glad that he has come up with that construction, and congratulate him.

Sorry, incomplete, not wrong.

#8 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2020-October-30, 11:51

Looking on the bright side, most of us would open 2NT

#9 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2020-October-30, 18:13

View PostDouglas43, on 2020-October-30, 11:51, said:

Looking on the bright side, most of us would open 2NT

some might even open 2C and rebid 2NT, but the K-R is 21.7 so I agree with 2NT. The North hand has a K-R of 1.0. I struggled to see where the point comes from ...

#10 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-30, 19:28

View Postlamford, on 2020-October-30, 18:13, said:

I struggled to see where the point comes from ...

Two points for the club shortness (minus one globally). Good luck getting club ruffs in no trumps though..

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users