BBO Discussion Forums: Much ado about nothing - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Much ado about nothing the most Uninteresting Bridge Hand Ever

Poll: Would you open? (2 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call

1. As West K&R (J72 KQT63 A95 43) = 10.75 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. As North K&R (KQ53 94 J832 KJ7) = 8.85 (0 votes [0.00%])

3. As East K&R (AT98 J75 KT4 Q82) = 9.45 (0 votes [0.00%])

4. As South K&R (64 A82 Q76 AT965) = 11.30 (0 votes [0.00%])

5. pass (2 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-October-19, 02:34

The percentage of hands that contain 10HCP is 9.4%, but it isn't common for everyone to get exactly 10.
To make matters worse, the colours were also distributed in a particularly dreary way.
Edit: apologies - West is the Dealer.
Here's the hand:

The result
Spoiler

#2 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-19, 03:55

W, N and S have a 3rd seat opening. If North is dealer it ought to be passed out IMHO.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-19, 04:04

If N opens a mini NT he may play there and make. I once lost a national final on a hand like this, scores dead level, we passed it out, opps played 2 and team mates had to lead a minor to beat it, they (as I would have done on the auction) led a trump. It was particularly galling because it required AK10 opposite xx to play for 3 tricks even with the wrong lead.

#4 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-October-19, 04:21

View Posthelene_t, on 2020-October-19, 03:55, said:

W, N and S have a 3rd seat opening. If North is dealer it ought to be passed out IMHO.

I can see some merit in opening the West hand in 3rd seat, but why open the North and South hands? Partucularly South, opening that 1 is asking for 4th seat to overcall in a major and make +110. That is what would happen if North was dealer.

#5 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-19, 04:31

View PostAL78, on 2020-October-19, 04:21, said:

I can see some merit in opening the West hand in 3rd seat, but why open the North and South hands? Partucularly South, opening that 1 is asking for 4th seat to overcall in a major and make +110. That is what would happen if North was dealer.

If I open the S hand, I upgrade it to the 11-14 notrump we play in 4th, never opening it 1 in 4th, 3rd seat I might as 1N is 12-14.

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-October-19, 08:49

pilowsky 'The percentage of hands that contain 10HCP is 9.4%, but it isn't common for everyone to get exactly 10. To make matters worse, the colours were also distributed in a particularly dreary way.
++++++++++++++++++++

Pilowski is right the hand isn't very interesting ... Except suppose West and North pass, and East opens 1, say ...
A. That would revive memories of the notorious World Championship case between Spain and the USA. Spain alleged that a USA pair might have a CPU (concealed partnership understanding) to open all hands, in third seat, when non-vulnerable. The WBF ruled in favour of the USA. BridgeWinners' opinions divided on patriotic lines. For example, some US commentators wrote that the director-call was unethical and, as captain, they would bench a player who failed to open the weak hands.
B. East can use the Drury convention to avoid getting too high. He replies 2 to check whether partner has his bid. This should allow the partnership to subside in 2. (Canadian international, Eric Murray had a propensity to psyche, in 3rd seat. Captain Douglas Drury [1914-1967] devised his eponymous convention as a psychic-control, in case Murray's partner was tempted to take the bid seriously).

#7 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-19, 21:29

btw I think you should make it a multi-option poll, possibly with a "none" option also.

As it is, we have to chose one and only one hand to open.

Also, make it clear who is dealer. I suppose it is W/none since you mentioned W first in the poll?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-20, 00:12

View Posthelene_t, on 2020-October-19, 21:29, said:

btw I think you should make it a multi-option poll, possibly with a "none" option also.

As it is, we have to chose one and only one hand to open.

Also, make it clear who is dealer. I suppose it is W/none since you mentioned W first in the poll?

Apologies, it is West - I edited it after you noted that earlier. I was one of the 'suckers and losers' that passed as South.
At two other tables, NS opened allowing the EW pair to reveal their majors and get to a making 2H contract.

Which just goes to show that silence is not always golden because we got -ve IMPs.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users