BBO Discussion Forums: Accidentally starting incorrect tournament - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Accidentally starting incorrect tournament

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-27, 16:05

Hi

I recently found I had been dropped into the wrong kind of tournament thinking it was a robot tournament. With nothing happeneing and an unfamiiar interface I left.

However I realise this could have been a problem for others in there. It was only a $0.10 tournament but certainly not what was expected. I apologise to anyone at the table and hope they can get a refund

Please be a bit clearer about torunament types in future. Sorry if its my error not recognising the torunament type

You can take any refund etc out of my account etc. Its rather embarrassing. Hoping I was replaced by a robot. But nothing was happening, nobody bidding and people sitting around waiting etc 'm not in the bait of withdrawing from anything, letting people down or anything. But it was a 4 hand 6 minute tournament. I was appraising my bid, couldn't find out how to bid and then realised there were others in there waiting for someone else to bid. It was a rather slow atsrt anyway for a 4 boards in 6 minutes tournament. Sorry. Is also not the best start to a tournament suddenly finding myself dropped at a table with 3 total strangers, panicking, wondering how to bid, realising its not by bid and the other 3 players arent robots, and someone at the table not knowing what Express means etc

But sorry again for the rection to the situation

regards P

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-September-28, 09:28

The name of that tournament was "Express - 4 Fast Boards". What makes that sound like a robot tournament? It's not listed in "Robot World".

The description of "express" tournaments all say: "30 seconds for each bid/play ... Robots replace slow players". So when you got kicked out for not playing quickly enough you were replaced with a robot and everyone else got to continue playing. They don't need a refund, this is how the game works.

What could we do better to describe the tournament? We've been running "express" tournaments for years without much confusion.

#3 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-28, 22:30

View Postbarmar, on 2020-September-28, 09:28, said:

The name of that tournament was "Express - 4 Fast Boards". What makes that sound like a robot tournament? It's not listed in "Robot World".

The description of "express" tournaments all say: "30 seconds for each bid/play ... Robots replace slow players". So when you got kicked out for not playing quickly enough you were replaced with a robot and everyone else got to continue playing. They don't need a refund, this is how the game works.

What could we do better to describe the tournament? We've been running "express" tournaments for years without much confusion.

Thats fine. That wasnt really the focus of my post. Sorry. That was just an aside to the incident :)

I wasn't suggesting the site had dropped me into the wrong kind of tournament - just that I dropped in by mistake. I was sure it was in a list of robot ones and I saw individual, no parner required, 10 cents dropped in and above is the sorry story.

However the opening bidder was on such a slow train I was able to appraise the situation, panic, assess my hand, rpepare to pass, not able to find the pass button, look up see 3 unfamiliar people, panic even more, wonder what I was doing and escape before they even bid. 1.5 minutes per hand doesnt leave much room for a few rounds of bidding and 52 cards to be played if someone ums and aars for 15-30 seconds, however long it was taking them

But hopefully I was replaced by a bot (often a better player than me) and maybe they thought I had been booted out for being too slow :)

My embrassment sparked anxiety attack lasted quite a while afterwards :(

EDIT. I just checked the details of another "Express" 4-hand tournament and can see where part of my anxiety came. In actual fact you get 24 minutes (ie 4 minutes per hand). However, having just clciked on it without prior research when the tournament list said "< 1" minutes to start, a bit of harmless quick entertainment fun turned into chaos when I saw the clock at 6 minutes etc.

If you want a literary reference it was a bit like the whale having a very brief existence in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I hope that explains the state my mind was in.

But I do apologise. Its clearly my mistake joining something on a whim at the last minute without reading a torunament description and thinking express meant something else.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users