Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Enhancement for claims

#1 User is offline   selevin 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-September-26, 19:03

We had a hand where partner was playing a spade part-score. Trumps were drawn and the only loser was the ace of hearts. He claimed 5 of the last 6 tricks. The defender with the ace of hearts knew he had one trick, but then had to count how many cards were left to see if 5 was the correct number of tricks to claim. He got confused and rejected the claim. Would it be possible to present the claim to the defenders as all-but-1 instead of or in addition to the number of tricks claimed?

#2 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-26, 19:57

At the end of the day, the fastest, kindest thing to do is just play it out. Sometimes people just can't see what you see.
What mystifies me is why the robots can't claim when they are playing out an obviously winning/losing position. It must bore them to tears.
Non legit hoc

#3 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-27, 19:12

Disagree.

Playing it out in an obvious situation is effectively calling your opponents morons who can't count to 13.

The claim dialog should say something like "I claim N out of the last X tricks. You get (X-N) tricks."

#4 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-27, 19:44

View PostTylerE, on 2020-September-27, 19:12, said:

Disagree.

Playing it out in an obvious situation is effectively calling your opponents morons who can't count to 13.

The claim dialog should say something like "I claim N out of the last X tricks. You get (X-N) tricks."

If your opponent rejects your claim and you refuse to play it out then who is being impolite now?
Manners don't enter into it. You are just wasting time. It's boring. No-one is dying - just play it out.
Non legit hoc

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-27, 19:48

In real life, people claim the total number of tricks they will make, not the total of the tricks remaining. It gets more confusing, when there is a trick in progress.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-September-28, 08:46

View PostVampyr, on 2020-September-27, 19:48, said:

In real life, people claim the total number of tricks they will make, not the total of the tricks remaining. It gets more confusing, when there is a trick in progress.

People often claim things like "Giving up the ace of hearts" and it's understood they mean they're winning the rest.

#7 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-28, 09:36

This is a problem with the (V3) UI. "I claim 5 tricks. Making 3. Taking the marked !C finesse" covers the trick count - so I don't have the automatic quick look on "oh we have 3, that means he's giving me the top trump, okay." I have to count the cards left to see that there are 6, and by then the claim times out. Apart from fixing it so this doesn't happen any more (which I realize is 'phone forcing desktop' problems), this could be changed so that, if the claim is not for all the tricks (including the current one, if in progress), the statement is "I claim 5 of 6 tricks. Making 3."

Now there are those - IRL as well as online - who don't listen and will autoreject a claim if they get a trick, even if the claim gives them that trick. That's life.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-28, 09:46

View Postbarmar, on 2020-September-28, 08:46, said:

People often claim things like "Giving up the ace of hearts" and it's understood they mean they're winning the rest.

Yes, or will face their cards and say something like “eleven” or “plus one”.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-28, 13:59

View PostVampyr, on 2020-September-28, 09:46, said:

Yes, or will face their cards and say something like "eleven" or "plus one".

Exactly, IRL you can quickly explain and get on with it. Online it's faster to play it out. Just like humour, timing is everything.
It isn't a cleverness competition.
Non legit hoc

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users