• You cannot reply to this topic

Elopement Slam play

#1 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-September-24, 22:46

In last night's Harry Smith Lockdown Teams. there was a deal something like this -- but simplified.
West led a trump but South, Mike Ash, still succeeded in his optimistic 6 contract.

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2020-September-24, 23:40

It's always nice when one has bid the hand to a slam like this, and the cards lie perfectly. Basically, one has to commit at trick 2: play for 2-2 hearts and 4-3 diamonds or 3-1 hearts and 5-2 diamonds (actually, one can postpone the decision by winning the heart Q, playing Ace and a diamond ruff, and seeing what cards appeared, but good defenders rarely give count against slams. Note that 4-3 diamonds and 3-1 hearts fail no matter what line one takes). The auction might well provide a clue:)

Plus most experts would choose the sexy line if it appeared to be basically the same odds as the mundane line, and the elopement was definitely the sexier line. Well done by declarer, and well done by west for not doubling.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-25, 07:59

View Postmikeh, on 2020-September-24, 23:40, said:

It's always nice when one has bid the hand to a slam like this, and the cards lie perfectly. Basically, one has to commit at trick 2: play for 2-2 hearts and 4-3 diamonds or 3-1 hearts and 5-2 diamonds (actually, one can postpone the decision by winning the heart Q, playing Ace and a diamond ruff, and seeing what cards appeared, but good defenders rarely give count against slams. Note that 4-3 diamonds and 3-1 hearts fail no matter what line one takes). The auction might well provide a clue:)

Plus most experts would choose the sexy line if it appeared to be basically the same odds as the mundane line

But aren't the odds decidedly in favour of the mundane line here?

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-September-25, 10:36

View Postpescetom, on 2020-September-25, 07:59, said:

But aren't the odds decidedly in favour of the mundane line here?

Depends on the actual auction, it's entirely possible W showed 5 diamonds and 4 spades.

Also the lead of a small heart is vanishingly unlikely from KJ and not that likely from K10, KJ10 looks much more promising if he expects AQ with N.

#5 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-25, 12:43

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-September-25, 10:36, said:

Depends on the actual auction, it's entirely possible W showed 5 diamonds and 4 spades.

Quite true, he said 'if it appeared to be'.
I was thinking in terms of the self-kibitzing auction presented in the OP, zero information.
It would be nice to know the actual auction.

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-September-25, 19:50

The actual deal and auction.
In my enthusiasm for the beautiful elopement possibilities, I confess that I exaggerated and oversimplified the play as well as the bidding :)

#7 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-25, 22:10

Rather unusual auction, with West doing his absolute utmost to pretend he doesn't have the club ace, then East bidding slam anyway :/

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-September-26, 03:46

View Postnige1, on 2020-September-25, 19:50, said:

The actual deal and auction.
In my enthusiasm for the beautiful elopement possibilities, I confess that I exaggerated and oversimplified the play as well as the bidding :)

I think this is even more likely that the lead is from Kxx than Kx, but here you can simply lead up to the 109 twice once they don't lead a club.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users