BBO Discussion Forums: When your hand contributes negative tricks - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

When your hand contributes negative tricks I should have passed a forcing bid

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-22, 17:32

Hi all

One of my worst hands ever when I should not even have bid a double negative to a game force

Will post partners hand but I would certainly also have opened it 2C

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-22, 18:11

Passing 2 is dumb, if that's what you're suggesting.

Double negative is also kinda dumb (as a convention)

#3 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-22, 18:38

Thread ruined already

I shouldn't even give your comment the dignity of a response

You should know me well enough by now that your first sentence is an insult

I was considering passing 2H

Some tables did manage to scrape together 8 tricks but sadly our table only managed 7 tricks

However your comment wasnt as dumb as it seems since 2C makes

#4 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-22, 19:13

Can passing forcing bids lead to a better score? Yes.

Does that mean you should have passed a forcing bid here? Of course not. When partner has game in his own hand, you're going to look ridiculous. Just bid normally; everyone else will be in the same spot (unless they are really bad players).

Even contemplating it is showing a pretty significant lack of bidding knowledge.

And to be honest, my first thought was that you were thinking about passing 2 too - not as an insult, simply because I would consider passing 2 equally bad, so it wasn't clear which of those two options you were thinking about.

#5 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-22, 19:22

View Postsmerriman, on 2020-September-22, 19:13, said:

Can passing forcing bids lead to a better score? Yes.

Does that mean you should have passed a forcing bid here? Of course not. When partner has game in his own hand, you're going to look ridiculous. Just bid normally; everyone else will be in the same spot (unless they are really bad players).

Even contemplating it is showing a pretty significant lack of bidding knowledge.

And to be honest, my first thought was that you were thinking about passing 2 too - not as an insult, simply because I would consider passing 2 equally bad, so it wasn't clear which of those two options you were thinking about.

Did you seriously think my question was about passing 2C

After years on these forums you think I am that stupid.

You lot are unbelievable

This will probably be my last ever post on these forums and after I have used my last BB$ probably the last dollars I will ever contribute to BBO

#6 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-22, 19:23

Agree with smerriman. You cannot pass 2, even if in this instance you would have scored better.

#7 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-22, 19:35

View Postthepossum, on 2020-September-22, 19:22, said:

Did you seriously think my question was about passing 2C

After years on these forums you think I am that stupid.

Yes, I did. Like I mentioned, I don't believe you are stupid, but I consider passing 2 an equally bad mistake as passing 2. So how could I possibly know which one you consider an insult and which one you don't?

#8 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-23, 02:35

Personally on auctions like this I take comfort in the fact that this is a deliberate trade-off we make by choosing a bidding system. At the actual table the choice is out of your hands - forcing bids are forcing, and therefore you must bid. If you feel you can do better by changing your system (for example opening 3.5-4 loser hands on the 1-level) then discuss this after the game.

#9 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-23, 03:02

This will probably be my last ever post on these forums and after I have used my last BB$ probably the last dollars I will ever contribute to BBO

Haven't we heard this before?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#10 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-23, 09:05

View PostDavidKok, on 2020-September-23, 02:35, said:

If you feel you can do better by changing your system (for example opening 3.5-4 loser hands on the 1-level) then discuss this after the game.

I don't think this particular partner discusses much. Nor do I agree with his decision to open 2 with a 21 HCP 3=5=1=4, however many losers he counts.

#11 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2020-September-23, 09:24

I would have passed 3 (forcing or not).

#12 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-23, 09:31

Very very simple. When you choose to pass a forcing bid, you are psyching (deliberately and grossly distorting your hand - there is no meaning for "pass"). Therefore, all caveats that apply when you psych apply here:
  • if you get a bad score, you get 100% of the blame, even if partner revoked in the play.
  • If partner is a "no psyches" person, well you just psyched. Expect the same reaction, whether or not it was right this time.
  • If partner can't let it go, and starts compensating - "I can't afford to have you pass this one, partner" - it's done. That might be partner's problem, not yours, but the partnership is not likely to recover.

I have parts of my system where the agreement is "Non-forcing, but we never pass", or "I'm allowed to pass, but I better be right". This is one step beyond that.

A misfitting zero count opposite a 2 opener might still make game. If you go down in 3, that's life. If you go +170 in 2, partner will remember it next year.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#13 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-23, 10:17

If you pass 2 partner has AKQJx, AKxxxxx, A, void and you miss a grand on a 3-2 heart break

#14 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2020-September-23, 11:07

If you use an immediate 2 as a double negative, partner can pass with an Acol 2 in hearts or bid 3 with game in hand. Not only does this avoid faffing around with the dreaded lower minor second negative but it also saves you a level when you are not going to reach game.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#15 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2020-September-23, 11:59

View Postmycroft, on 2020-September-23, 09:31, said:

Very very simple. When you choose to pass a forcing bid, you are psyching (deliberately and grossly distorting your hand - there is no meaning for "pass").

I agree.

View Postnullve, on 2020-September-23, 09:24, said:

I would have passed 3 (forcingunlimited or not).

#16 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-23, 13:12

View Postnullve, on 2020-September-23, 09:24, said:

I would have passed 3 (forcing or not).

2 was forcing to 3, and after a 2nd negative, 3 is not forcing.

#17 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-24, 15:51

You never pass a forcing bid.

There may be a few exceptions, such as when you has extraneous AI that one of the opponents have enough defense to take any game contract down, or if you have psyched yourself.

This doesn't apply here, so bid something.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#18 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-September-24, 16:32

View Posthelene_t, on 2020-September-24, 15:51, said:

You never pass a forcing bid.

There may be a few exceptions, such as when you has extraneous AI that one of the opponents have enough defense to take any game contract down, or if you have psyched yourself.

This doesn't apply here, so bid something.

The most usual exception is that partner makes a technically forcing bid having passed initially and you decide you can't possibly be making game opposite an initial pass with a light misfitting opener.

In this auction passing 3 is safe, but passing 2 deserves partner to have 11 or 12 tricks in his hand.

#19 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-24, 18:02

OK but then "technically forcing" just means non-forcing. There are few natural bids by passed hands that are forcing.

In this auction, 2 was explained as GF. If that's really what it is then passing 3 is not safe. Partner might have something like A-AKxxxx-Ax-AKQJ.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#20 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-September-24, 18:34

The Possum "Hi all. One of my worst hands ever when I should not even have bid a double negative to a game force. Will post partners hand but I would certainly also have opened it 2C.

View Postthepossum, on 2020-September-22, 18:38, said:

Thread ruined already. I shouldn't even give your comment the dignity of a response. You should know me well enough by now that your first sentence is an insult. I was considering passing 2H. Some tables did manage to scrape together 8 tricks but sadly our table only managed 7 tricks. However your comment wasn't as dumb as it seems since 2C makes.

Did you seriously think my question was about passing 2C. After years on these forums you think I am that stupid. You lot are unbelievable. This will probably be my last ever post on these forums and after I have used my last BB$ probably the last dollars I will ever contribute to BBO.

View Posthelene_t, on 2020-September-24, 18:02, said:

In this auction, 2 was explained as GF. If that's really what it is then passing 3 is not safe. Partner might have something like A-AKxxxx-Ax-AKQJ.
I hope The Possum stays. Helene_t is right again. The Possum's diagram annotates partner's 2 opening as G/F, so all opener's bids, including 3 are forcing. Even when it might work, it's inadvisable to pass a forcing bid because it undermines partnership confidence. In the UK, Benjamin is popular solution ...
  • 2 = ART F/1. After 2 - 2 -, responder can pass opener's rebid with a poor hand.
  • 2 = ART G/F

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users