Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Improvements Needed on BBO Card Display

#1 User is offline   boatchik 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-September-22, 10:52

1. Always have the trumps placed on dummy’s left. This is standard procedure in bridge. Last night, sitting south, when west was dummy, the trumps were at the top of the screen (right side of dummy), not the bottom (left side of dummy). This is very misleading to south!! I think it only happens when dummy is sitting to a player’s left. This was not a problem in the old version.

2. Please, please make it a top priority to give members the WONDERFUL option of changing the card size to “Narrow,” as it was in the older BBO version. The cards on the new site are too fat and too big and chunky, and they take up way too much space on the table. It makes it very hard to glance at the cards when they don’t look like cards. PLEASE make that option available on your new site as soon as possible.

#2 User is offline   jandrew 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-September-22, 13:58

View Postboatchik, on 2020-September-22, 10:52, said:

1. Always have the trumps placed on dummy’s left. This is standard procedure in bridge. Last night, sitting south, when west was dummy, the trumps were at the top of the screen (right side of dummy), not the bottom (left side of dummy). This is very misleading to south!! I think it only happens when dummy is sitting to a player’s left. This was not a problem in the old version.

I think that you need to re-read your complaint.
The standard procedure is for trumps to be placed on dummy's right.
If you are sitting south and dummy is west - on your left. Then dummy's left is at the top of the screen and dummy's right is at the bottom of the screen.

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-22, 15:00

But his complaint is valid (if wrongly written) - we had a thread on this earlier this year.

If you are playing the hand, trumps will be on your left in both hands. If you are defending, trumps will be on top - either dummy. That means that if RHO is dummy, trumps are on declarer's left as normal, but if LHO is dummy, trumps are on "declarer's right".

As I said in the last thread, it was so "normal" to me that I didn't realize it was wrong until someone pointed it out.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-September-22, 15:13

He's right(wrong) as the current laws go, but they are neither great nor conceived with a graphic interface in mind.
If there are supposed to be no memory aids, then it is not clear why trumps should be evidenced in any way.
It is even less clear why dummy should be free to order the remaining suits (or all suits at NT) as he (or declarer) so wishes.
In a graphic interface it makes a lot of sense to use a hand diagram (with suits stacked vertically) and I hope nobody wants to change the order then.
If people want to evidence trumps in some other way (and show the bidding during play, as BBO does) so be it.

#5 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-22, 15:22

View Postjandrew, on 2020-September-22, 13:58, said:

If you are sitting south and dummy is west - on your left. Then dummy's left is at the top of the screen and dummy's right is at the bottom of the screen.

The display of dummy is actually codified in the laws of bridge.

Law 41(D)

After the opening lead is faced, dummy spreads
his hand in front of him on the table, face up,
sorted into suits, the cards in order of rank with
lowest ranking cards towards declarer, and in
separate columns pointing lengthwise towards
declarer. Trumps are placed to dummy’s right.
Declarer plays both his hand and that of dummy

This law says that dummy's suits should be arranged in columns by suit. BBO does not do this in the latest versions of software although the obsolete Windows version managed to accomplish this. If BBO doesn't think it is necessary for dummy's suits to be arrange by columns, I don't see any reason why trumps should be in any particular order.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-September-23, 14:03

I've removed all the duplicate threads, and moved this one to the Suggestions forum.

#7 User is offline   jillboner 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-September-25, 11:52

Consider displaying the 'diamonds' directly below the hearts, followed
by the clubs. Not spades hearts clubs then diamonds.

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-September-25, 13:24

View Postjillboner, on 2020-September-25, 11:52, said:

Consider displaying the 'diamonds' directly below the hearts, followed
by the clubs. Not spades hearts clubs then diamonds.

I imagine that spades hearts clubs diamonds is chosen to obtain contrast between suits in 'picture of cards' view.
It doesn't happen in 'hand diagram'.
BBO has repeatedly ignored requests to use four colours, but in my experience with physical cards that doesn't work well either.

#9 User is offline   boatchik 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-September-25, 16:27

View Postjandrew, on 2020-September-22, 13:58, said:

I was referring to south's view, not dummy's.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users