Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

new hack for section size ?

#1 User is offline   Keene_JP 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-September-21, 11:46

From BBO upgrade announcement: Write +SECTIONSIZE=X+ in tournament description. (Where X is the number of tables).

Not sure why i would want this -- max size is still 15 tables?
If 30 tables, i could now split into 3 sections of 10 instead of (2) at 15 ? but why would i ?

#2 User is offline   jnichols 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-September-21, 11:48

View PostKeene_JP, on 2020-September-21, 11:46, said:

From BBO upgrade announcement: Write +SECTIONSIZE=X+ in tournament description. (Where X is the number of tables).

If 30 tables, i could now split into 3 sections of 10 instead of (2) at 15 ? but why would i ?

I want to run a MItchell movement, 11 rounds of 2 boards, with 16+ tables with no playbacks. If 16 gets split now I get playbacks.
John S. Nichols - Director & Webmaster
Indianapolis Bridge Center

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-21, 12:21

View PostKeene_JP, on 2020-September-21, 11:46, said:

No, maximum size is not 15 tables. In the EBU our sections are 50 tables.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   Keene_JP 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-September-21, 14:12

confused. today we had 30 tables -- was automatically split into 2 sections each of 15. I thought i had earlier read somewhere in BBO docs that 15 was max size. If can go beyond 15 tables per section by using this hack, then i understand. For example, for smaller game, 16 tables is a pain if it splits into (2) sections of 8. Much nicer at full 16.

#5 User is offline   bjacobs 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-September-21, 16:26

I just want to know what the hack even means.

For example, if I specify section size of 10, and get 24 tables ... do I get two sections of 12 or three sections of 8?

#6 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-21, 17:02

I don't know how all of this works. I do know that people gripe about hitting all the A pairs in their set of 6-of-15 in the section, playing 6x3, and having the winners playing none of the A pairs in their 6. I assume this tries to avoid that problem, so that the section sizes can approximate the round count.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-September-22, 09:05

Prior to this change, there were just two options for maximum section sizes: the normal 15 tables, or "large" sections up to 50 tables. The choice was a setting at the organization level; EBU has the flag set for large sections.

Now if you use the new option for a specific tourney, it overrides this organization-wide setting.

Note that most sections will actually be smaller than this maximum; if you have a 60 table game with +SECTIONSIZE=20+, it will actually create 4 sections with 15 tables rather than 3 sections with 20. This will be fixed in the next server update, but for now you generally should add 1 to your desired section size.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users