BBO Discussion Forums: How to raise 1 NT? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to raise 1 NT?

#21 User is offline   msjennifer 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,366
  • Joined: 2013-August-03
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Variable private
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2020-September-19, 01:39

View Postpilowsky, on 2020-September-19, 01:01, said:

As someone who spends most (but not all) of their time playing with GIB I can say that before you start messing with its system it's a good idea to understand what it does do inside out.
The first thing I did was join Prime so that I could hammer out boards to see how GIB responds.
The next thing I did was to see how GIB responds to subtle variations in HCP range and shape.
So the system I use with GIB is a bit different to the system in the system notes but it gets me to makeable contracts often.
My next problem is making them more often.
Some of the things will translate into what is referred to as "real Bridge" by some of the people that make posts here.
Many of these people are excellent real-life Bridge players who don't tell us about their experiences with GIB. Although I'm sure they are pretty good at that too.

Perhaps REAL bridge means something like LONDON bridge which opens as and when needed.
1

#22 User is offline   pilowsky 

  • pilowsky
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,107
  • Joined: 2019-October-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:Writing, learning about life and bridge from others, Poodles, helping Poodles write

Posted 2020-September-19, 02:28

View Postmsjennifer, on 2020-September-19, 01:39, said:

Perhaps REAL bridge means something like LONDON bridge which opens as and when needed.


Sounds like an open and shut case to me.
non est deus ex machina; även maskiner behöver lite kärlek; N'écris jamais une lettre et n'en détruis jamais une.
0

#23 User is offline   al_terego 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 2014-March-06

Posted 2020-September-19, 02:57

Robots system (far to be great) outside some "butterflies" about very strong hands is a decent system based 90% on BWS (and ACBL regulations). 4 suit transfers isnt "attached" to a system, is a convention that work in ANY system (assuming the lack of 2NT inviting but gaining superaccept in both minors). Robots system is unitar for all players, and is simple, if you can/want to handle it is ok, if not... your choice, "take it or leave it" :))
0

#24 User is online   nige1 

  • 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,491
  • Joined: 2004-August-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow Scotland
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-September-19, 04:36

View Postjohnu, on 2020-September-18, 13:06, said:

Why would you make a 2NT bid without checking what the bid means if you don't know how the bid will be interpreted? You should always check on bids unless you are 100% sure about the meaning.

View Postpescetom, on 2020-September-18, 13:14, said:

Unless you are playing bridge where the laws say you can't
If you are playing with and against robots, then they all play the same system. In theory, you have the legal right to consult opponents' system card and, if necessary, ask them about their agreements. That is equivalent to examining the systemic meaning of your own call, before committing to it :)
0

#25 User is offline   Jschatzman 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 2020-August-16

Posted 2020-September-19, 06:55

View Postpilowsky, on 2020-September-19, 01:01, said:

As someone who spends most (but not all) of their time playing with GIB I can say that before you start messing with its system it's a good idea to understand what it does do inside out.
The first thing I did was join Prime so that I could hammer out boards to see how GIB responds.
The next thing I did was to see how GIB responds to subtle variations in HCP range and shape.
So the system I use with GIB is a bit different to the system in the system notes but it gets me to makeable contracts often.
My next problem is making them more often.
Some of the things will translate into what is referred to as "real Bridge" by some of the people that make posts here.
Many of these people are excellent real-life Bridge players who don't tell us about their experiences with GIB. Although I'm sure they are pretty good at that too.


Thanks for the tips.

I am beginning to think that while bidding is a critical part of what makes Bridge interesting, it is also its Achilles heel. For my part, I never thought that glancing at the opponents' bidding card before a session was sufficient to capture what they are doing, especially if they have some unusual features in their bidding. Having a photographic memory would be helpful, but I don't have one. If you have to ask one apponent what his partner's bid means all the time the it damages the flow of the bidding, besides which it affords the opponents an unintended means of communication. The ACBL has outlawed some conventions (such as the strong pass/weak 1S system), presumably because they are too disruptive. BIL (and others) outlaws psychics. Having a system that is designed to disrupt the opponents' communication is allowed as long as it isn't TOO disruptive. Kind of like NASCAR allowing innovation but not TOO much innovation... Anyway, playing with the robots has rubbed my nose in this aspect of Bridge which I don't seem to like very much.
0

#26 User is offline   Richard V 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 2015-September-16

Posted 2020-September-19, 13:21

As someone already told, in GIB Stayman is not promising a 4 card major and has to be used for an inviting raise.

The complete system is described here:
GIB System Notes

Bidding after 1NT Opening
1

#27 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,623
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2020-September-19, 13:29

View PostJschatzman, on 2020-September-19, 06:55, said:

I am beginning to think that while bidding is a critical part of what makes Bridge interesting, it is also its Achilles heel. For my part, I never thought that glancing at the opponents' bidding card before a session was sufficient to capture what they are doing, especially if they have some unusual features in their bidding. Having a photographic memory would be helpful, but I don't have one. If you have to ask one apponent what his partner's bid means all the time the it damages the flow of the bidding, besides which it affords the opponents an unintended means of communication. The ACBL has outlawed some conventions (such as the strong pass/weak 1S system), presumably because they are too disruptive. BIL (and others) outlaws psychics. Having a system that is designed to disrupt the opponents' communication is allowed as long as it isn't TOO disruptive. Kind of like NASCAR allowing innovation but not TOO much innovation... Anyway, playing with the robots has rubbed my nose in this aspect of Bridge which I don't seem to like very much.


Bidding and the right of opponents to know your agreements are the cornerstones of bridge, otherwise revert to whist (which was also fun, admittedly).
Asking an opponent what his bid means does NOT afford an unintended means of communication in a well designed electronic system.
0

#28 User is offline   miamijd 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 728
  • Joined: 2015-November-14

Posted 2020-September-19, 23:11

GIB plays minor suit stayman, a type of 4 suit transfers, and 2nt may or may not have a 4 card major. Not that uncommon.
0

#29 User is offline   DarylK 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 2020-June-12

Posted 2020-September-20, 04:58

View Postmsjennifer, on 2020-September-19, 01:39, said:

Perhaps REAL bridge means something like LONDON bridge which opens as and when needed.


Terrific gag.
However it should probably be Tower Bridge, not London Bridge...
0

#30 User is offline   blackshoe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 16,940
  • Joined: 2006-April-17
  • Location:Rochester, NY

Posted 2020-September-20, 12:26

View Postjohnu, on 2020-September-18, 19:08, said:

As you should probably know, the BBO system card is based on the ACBL convention card. This barely covers opening bids, and a few responses, and a few initial defensive bids. Once you get into the 2nd round of bidding you are usually on your own unless rebidding after a conventional response. I have never been able to find the section where if you bid game on your own (not opening preempt) you show something like 25-40 points.

I don't see what that has to do with anything.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean
0

#31 User is offline   iandayre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,110
  • Joined: 2013-December-23
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2020-September-20, 13:17

The simple answer, Jschatzman, is that if you want to play with and against the robots, you have to learn the 2/1 bidding system. That is what they play. I don't know how long you have been playing but 2/1 has been the most popular system in the USA for players above the beginner/intermediate level for decades.

To answer your first question, to invite to 3NT you must start with 2C Stayman, then bid 2NT the next round.
0

#32 User is offline   johnu 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,801
  • Joined: 2008-September-10
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2020-September-20, 20:04

View Postblackshoe, on 2020-September-20, 12:26, said:

I don't see what that has to do with anything.

Obviously not. B-)
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users