• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brilliant lead

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-September-13, 15:30

My partner opened 2NT (20-21) and I raised to 3NT. I don't know how he found it, but North led the T, which went Q,K,A. We were destined for a bad score when partner took the heart finesse into South and we were limited to nine tricks, despite holding a combined 31 HCP. A lousy 18.3%. This is one reason I lose at bridge, my opponents have a habit of finding non-standard actions that work beautifully for them.

"Brilliant lead"
"I had to lead a major"
"Of course you did"

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-13, 15:51

Not sure of your agreements over 2NT, but one way or another you should be investigating slam or at a stretch just blasting 6NT.
A contract which will still make after that brilliant lead, thanks to the favourable layout.

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-13, 16:32

I don't agree with investigating slam with a flat 11. 3nt is fine IMO.

The lead is perfectly reasonable (except maybe a low spade is more effective than ten in long run); there's little point in leading a club with no entries. You'd have to find partner with like 4 clubs and in that event they would have likely investigated a major contract. Lack of major investigation also makes leading a spade more attractive than a diamond.

Your problem on this board isn't so much that the opponents found a good lead, but that partner managed to hold him/herself to 9 tricks, which is pretty horrible. Surely 11 should be automatic, and 12 probably should be scored; if anything the lead actually makes it easier to score 12 tricks as it makes 2 spade tricks possible without an endplay, as long as you read ST as a true card. So maybe gift partner some good declarer play books, or search for better partners.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users