BBO Discussion Forums: Posting of the SAYC CC on Pairs Games - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Posting of the SAYC CC on Pairs Games

#1 User is offline   patcunk 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-June-15, 06:21

BBO automatically posts an SAYC convention card in the pairs games when there is no convention card available. Unfortunately, most players have this card posted and they do not play SAYC, and no one any longer tells the opponents before the bidding what system they play or their carding agreements. In the past this was common, that is, most opponents would type we are playing pard's profile, we are playing 2/1 with UDCA, etc. With the advent of all these new players, it might be helpful if BBO added to the line saying SAYC card posted and IF you do not play SAYC you should tell your opponents what system and carding you use as soon as the round changes and you have new opponents. I cannot say for sure but I would guess that over 50% of the opponents I played against today had an SAYC CC and they played something else and never mentioned it or alerted anything. Has anyone else noticed this?

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-June-15, 08:57

View Postpatcunk, on 2020-June-15, 06:21, said:

BBO automatically posts an SAYC convention card in the pairs games when there is no convention card available. Unfortunately, most players have this card posted and they do not play SAYC, and no one any longer tells the opponents before the bidding what system they play or their carding agreements. In the past this was common, that is, most opponents would type we are playing pard's profile, we are playing 2/1 with UDCA, etc. With the advent of all these new players, it might be helpful if BBO added to the line saying SAYC card posted and IF you do not play SAYC you should tell your opponents what system and carding you use as soon as the round changes and you have new opponents. I cannot say for sure but I would guess that over 50% of the opponents I played against today had an SAYC CC and they played something else and never mentioned it or alerted anything. Has anyone else noticed this?

In my experience players give a brief description of their methods at the beginning of a round. It does seem counter-productive to automatically post a card that people may or may not be using.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   dave1hall 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-September-08, 16:19

bbo has stopped posting automatic sayc cards. I think about early September.
Now it is just no card.
ACBL directors are now trying to encourage pairs to post an "accurate" card.
The ACBL laws do require a convention card for their events.
seems to be a work in progress.
Dave

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-September-12, 10:43

View Postdave1hall, on 2020-September-08, 16:19, said:

The ACBL laws do require a convention card for their events.
seems to be a work in progress.

Yes, we turned off the default card, since it was misleading. Many people complained about this.

But what were you expecting instead? Prohibit them from playing at all? Have you ever been to a f2f club -- lots of players don't have filled out cards. If you play with a pick-up partner, you don't have a chance to create a card.

ACBL requires convention cards for their tournaments. Club games are not as stringent.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users