BBO Discussion Forums: Suppressing EBU Virtual Club Results - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Suppressing EBU Virtual Club Results

#1 User is offline   gentgiant 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-September-08, 04:01

I'd interested to know why BBO seems to have acquiesced to an EBU request to embargo VC Pairs results on days when the EBU is running SIMs of its own.

Yesterday something like 85 VC Pairs events (I was a non-playing TD of one) were suppressed to protect the security of ten EBU VC SIMs events. Since the 85 were not playing the same boards as the SIMs this seems to be a sledgehammer, not to say discourteous, approach to SIMs security.

Especially as it was only non-playing TDs of those 85 events who were prevented from downloading using BBO Extractor. I know of at least one VC player who was able to extract the results of his Pairs event and see them posted with Hand Records on his Club's website, hours before the SIMs were being played.

Presumably, a SIMs player could do the same and tip-off others playing later?

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-08, 08:33

View Postgentgiant, on 2020-September-08, 04:01, said:

I'd interested to know why BBO seems to have acquiesced to an EBU request to embargo VC Pairs results on days when the EBU is running SIMs of its own.

Yesterday something like 85 VC Pairs events (I was a non-playing TD of one) were suppressed to protect the security of ten EBU VC SIMs events. Since the 85 were not playing the same boards as the SIMs this seems to be a sledgehammer, not to say discourteous, approach to SIMs security.

Especially as it was only non-playing TDs of those 85 events who were prevented from downloading using BBO Extractor. I know of at least one VC player who was able to extract the results of his Pairs event and see them posted with Hand Records on his Club's website, hours before the SIMs were being played.

Presumably, a SIMs player could do the same and tip-off others playing later?

Unfortunately it is not possible for this facility to be switched off for some of our clubs and not others, so when we run Sims it is switched off until 10pm, as notified in advance to all clubs. Anyone who has played in a game will be able to see their complete results on BBO immediately and from what you say above, it is possible for those who are not playing in the Sims to work around the restriction in any case.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users