Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How could I have foreseen this?!

#1 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-September-03, 12:51

It's bad form, I suppose, to blame every bad result on 'bad luck'. But this one really takes the biscuit:

Not wishing to bid my miserable spade suit, I opened 1NT (weak) which was passed out.

I know 1NT contracts are usually unplanned and often fail to go as one wishes, but I had some hopes of limiting this to -1 at worst, despite partner's weak holding. West led Q (naturally) won by my K. I decided to set up a couple of spades, hoping that at least two of the honours would fall together - as indeed they did. East cashed her top spades then returned a diamond to my A. Silently thanking E for helping to set up my long spades, I cashed them (west discarding clubs) then led J hoping to set up an entry to finesse the clubs.

I knew I was in for the loss of a few diamond tricks, but was not prepared for west to instantly claim the rest of the tricks! -3 and a joint bottom.

Yes I realise now I should have played hearts before touching the spades, but could I have guessed that?

Over to you guys for advice....

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-03, 14:08

Both E and W appear to be dead.
I doubt they won the tournament.

#3 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-03, 16:32

Lucky you weren't doubled in 1NT, Pete, then you would have got a 'bottom bottom' instead of a 'joint bottom'.

I think you got off lightly :)

#4 User is offline   Wolfbag 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-September-04, 05:59

When EW bid as poorly as they did on this hand you just have to hope they do it next time u play against them - I am mystified as to why the East hand didnt open - equally why West would not show his long diamond suit - with balance of points its the absence of bidding from them which would raise my suspicions of each having knowledge of the other's hand ! - make of that what you will !

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-September-04, 06:24

661_Pete 'It's bad form, I suppose, to blame every bad result on 'bad luck'. But this one really takes the biscuit:Not wishing to bid my miserable spade suit, I opened 1NT (weak) which was passed out.I know 1NT contracts are usually unplanned and often fail to go as one wishes, but I had some hopes of limiting this to -1 at worst, despite partner's weak holding. West led Q (naturally) won by my K. I decided to set up a couple of spades, hoping that at least two of the honours would fall together - as indeed they did. East cashed her top spades then returned a diamond to my A. Silently thanking E for helping to set up my long spades, I cashed them (west discarding clubs) then led J hoping to set up an entry to finesse the clubs.I knew I was in for the loss of a few diamond tricks, but was not prepared for west to instantly claim the rest of the tricks! -3 and a joint bottom.Yes I realise now I should have played hearts before touching the spades, but could I have guessed that?'
++++++++++++++++++++
IMO, 661_Pete's decision to open 1N is sensible but unfortunate. His opponents' bidding seems OK. Arguably, however, declarer was lucky to lose only 9 tricks. Had he run J, he would take a trick less :(.

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-September-04, 14:10

View Postnige1, on 2020-September-04, 06:24, said:

His opponents' bidding seems OK.

You would pass as East?

1NT can be made, but so can 3 by W.

#7 User is offline   crapdown4 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-September-04, 16:49

View Post661_Pete, on 2020-September-03, 12:51, said:

Over to you guys for advice....

Interesting that nobody mentions that you should have opened 1S.

I know you (and many others) like your weak notrumps, but you don't HAVE to open 1NT when you have a five card major (and the hand otherwise qualifies). The trouble here was that almost all of your values were primary, which argues for a suit contract. 3 1/2 quick tricks and certainly, at least a couple of spades in a suit contract. In notrump, you couldn't assume you would ever get those spade tricks.

The opponents bid like they fell unconscious, and that's certainly the reason why you got a bad score rather than any real fault in your bidding per se, but I would view a 1S opening as less likely to lead to disaster. The trouble was, you were going to be at least somewhat anti-field. I would NEVER open 1NT at IMPs, and would only open 1NT at MPs if I felt I needed a swing.

I of course realize the inherent value of opening 1NT with a 5CM (rebid problems solved), but this hand wasn't remotely suited for that IMHO.

#8 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-05, 01:34

View Postcrapdown4, on 2020-September-04, 16:49, said:

Interesting that nobody mentions that you should have opened 1S.

I know you (and many others) like your weak notrumps, but you don't HAVE to open 1NT when you have a five card major (and the hand otherwise qualifies). The trouble here was that almost all of your values were primary, which argues for a suit contract. 3 1/2 quick tricks and certainly, at least a couple of spades in a suit contract. In notrump, you couldn't assume you would ever get those spade tricks.

The opponents bid like they fell unconscious, and that's certainly the reason why you got a bad score rather than any real fault in your bidding per se, but I would view a 1S opening as less likely to lead to disaster. The trouble was, you were going to be at least somewhat anti-field. I would NEVER open 1NT at IMPs, and would only open 1NT at MPs if I felt I needed a swing.

I of course realize the inherent value of opening 1NT with a 5CM (rebid problems solved), but this hand wasn't remotely suited for that IMHO.

What are you going to rebid if you open 1 and partner bids at the 2 level when you don't play 2/1 ? If you play a weak NT in an Acol context for example 2N shows 15+, so you have to rebid 2 which partner will often pass with a singleton and minimum 2/1. It's very system dependent whether you should open 1.

#9 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2020-September-05, 02:24

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-September-05, 01:34, said:

What are you going to rebid if you open 1 and partner bids at the 2 level when you don't play 2/1 ? If you play a weak NT in an Acol context for example 2N shows 15+, so you have to rebid 2 which partner will often pass with a singleton and minimum 2/1.

So what is the correct rebid over 1-2 in Acol with, say, 12 hcp and 5314?

#10 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-05, 02:40

I normally open 1NT on 14-18 range against GIB. So even though everyone else excoriates me for not bidding I'm with you.
With this hand, after the were cleared and I still had 'cover' in the other suits it doesn't seem like a 'guess' to set about promoting the only remaining long suit to try and make the contract.
Non legit hoc

#11 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-September-05, 03:22

When playing weak NT and holding a 5 card major 5332 shape in the 12-14 range, I open 1NT if the major is poor and 1M if the major is good (a couple of the top five honors), so I would open 1NT on this hand and end up with the same result as you.

#12 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-05, 03:23

View Postnullve, on 2020-September-05, 02:24, said:

So what is the correct rebid over 1-2 in Acol with, say, 12 hcp and 5314?

If you open 1N with all 5332s in range, 1-2-2 shows 6 and 1-2-2 is either 6 spades or 5/4

#13 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2020-September-05, 03:43

View Postpescetom, on 2020-September-04, 14:10, said:

You would pass as East? 1NT can be made, but so can 3 by W.

• South opens a strong notrump and East-West are vulnerable. West might still overcall 3 or make some system-bid; but if West passes, what action does Pescetom recommend on the East hand? It's a matter of style and judgement, but I'm afraid I'd chicken out :(
  • In practice, defending 1N should result in +150 or more, for an above average result. Admittedly, in theory, South can make 1NT against any defence. For example, at double-dummy. declarer can isolate West by winning his lead, leading a to K and playing another . Routine stuff for self-kibitzers :)

#14 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-05, 07:56

View Postnige1, on 2020-September-05, 03:43, said:

South opens a strong notrump and East-West are vulnerable. West might still overcall 3 or make some system-bid; but if West passes, what action does Pescetom recommend on the East hand?

Opening the bidding the round earlier with a 14 count, maybe?
All this is very strange...

#15 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-September-05, 10:21

The man said it for me.

#16 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2020-September-05, 15:34

View Postapollo1201, on 2020-September-05, 07:56, said:

Opening the bidding the round earlier with a 14 count, maybe?All this is very strange...

View Postpescetom, on 2020-September-05, 10:21, said:

The man said it for me.
Ahh... the dealer really was North? Sorry. :( Pescetom is right. And I'm mistaken :)

#17 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-07, 02:19

All very interesting, thanks for the comments. Don't get me wrong! I'm not really gutted at what happened here, I found it quite amusing in reality. And both opponents are from my club, so I know them well (I have partnered this hand's East many times - with a fair amount of success).

Certainly 3 by west is unbeatable, so it's not all bad. And, looking again at the traveller, I was wrong about getting a 'bottom' - one pair went 4 down in 1NT somehow!

I agree that stiff AK in the opponents' long suit isn't an ideal holding in 1NT!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users