BBO Discussion Forums: The works - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The works bidding over weak two

Poll: The works (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call ?

1. Pass (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Double (17 votes [85.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.00%

3. 2NT (1 votes [5.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

4. 3H (1 votes [5.00%] - View)

5. 3S (0 votes [0.00%])

6. 4H (1 votes [5.00%] - View)

7. Other (please explain) (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2020-September-05, 03:08

View Postmikeh, on 2020-September-04, 15:21, said:

Why do you think that the result was driven by the call made by the big hand?

In any mp field, those who open 2S on that hand will be in the minority.

Probably true, but not opening 2 is not the same as passing. I'm pretty sure the overwhelming majority of tournament players in Norway would find some kind of opening (2(Multi), 2, 3) on this hand.

View Postmikeh, on 2020-September-04, 15:21, said:

Had dealer passed, the field breezes into game

#22 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-05, 07:09

View Postpilowsky, on 2020-September-04, 15:09, said:

Is the call a 'gross misstatement' of the hand? I suspect you didn't protest because you knew how far you would get!

It is clearly not a psyche. But if the actual agreement was not 6-10 etc then it may be considered an infraction of RA rules as well as misexplanation. I had many reasons not to protest, including doubt that we were actually damaged and sympathy for a colleague who at that point just wanted to wrap the tournament up and send everyone home.

View PostVampyr, on 2020-September-04, 19:39, said:

In that case they should definitely improve their disclosure. It would be a good bid if the honours were in ; I wish players were expected to disclose deviant preempt style.

I agree.

View Postsfi, on 2020-September-04, 19:47, said:

Is there really no latitude for judgement, where a player can decide an extra trump makes up for a missing stray jack? Or is it simply that you would want them to announce it slightly differently?

They can have almost any agreement they like for a 2M opening so long as they alert and disclose correctly. But the only announcement allowed is "weak" and it can only be used with the specified range 6-10 etc, any different agreement must be alerted.
It's a moot point whether a pair who have made the "weak" announcement can still deviate from the standard agreement or whether violating the specified point range is an infraction of the rule. The rule (which is new) does not say either way and my own interpretation would be that Law 40C applies, but no tolerance is allowed on some other minimum points specified in the rules.

#23 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-05, 17:20

View Postmikeh, on 2020-September-04, 17:19, said:

No

I just played in an ACBL online challenge format tournament. One of the other players was ranked in the top ten of online players.
I used the traveller with a side by side trick by trick comparison with two tabs open on my browser to compare my bidding and play.
I also look to see how others do.
I use as many available tools that I can find.
The best lessons I get are from the travellers.
Then comes the helpful comments on the Forum...

#24 User is online   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-05, 18:14

I didnt have my regular GiB crib sheet for bid explanations, and I purpsoefully didn't check any Bridge teaching sites, and I am out of my depth venturing here out of Novice and Beginner but I was trying to decide between 3H and 4H. I ended up going for 3H. I'm feeling a bit lonely, not having doubled etc

What I was looking for was the equivalent of a game force followed by hearts as my longest suit, so I don't know if 3H risks being passed. Just checking a few pages on overcalls of weak 2s, maybe the jump overcall to 4H was the best. I was understating my hand. Actually reading down the page double followed by eharts is stronger :) I sometimes revert to my simpler bridge upbringing when I had never even heard of takeout doubles. They were reserved for penalties

However thinking about it more given that you are opposite a passed hand there are fewer possible outcomes, but surely a slam is still possible

Thinking back to my simpler times I may have done the jump overcall, however I had a traumatic experience explaining a jump overcall bid once so I always get confused about which is strong or weak

But seriously I would not be inclined to risk missing 4H, so why waste time

EDIT In order to find what my regular partner GiB would have expected in such a situation it would have been 3 or 4 hearts. Given the strength of my hand I would have bid 4H with GiB. It didn't take me long and much frustration trying to code it up in Dealer but eventually I managed an auction like that :) The reason for choosing 4H rather than 3H is that I would not want to be passed so why mess about and take the risk. Thats with my regular partner. However you run the risk of being raised immediately to 6 or 7

EDIT 2 I know my partner too well. I was raised to 6H immediately with 10 points, 2 hearts and no keycards with as far as I could see so more than 11 tricks, so my original 3H bid stands :) I am also quite confident that 3H would be passed many times and potentially even a double passed. So thats the fun of GiB. To be fair the hand did have two heart honours, but sadly a few too many losers elsewhere between us :)

EDIT 3 A simple sim gave average tricks in hearts 10.75, chance of game 81%, chance of 6H 30% etc

#25 User is online   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2020-October-02, 21:37

No perfect bid on this hand but doubling is the least worst option. Partner has an obvious top spade lead, and your discard should ask for a club. +500 and happy days.

I do bid weak twos on mediocre 7 card suits, particularly when vulnerable. Not keen on this one though, as too likely to draw a lousy opening lead from partner.

#26 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-October-03, 02:51

nullve 'Probably true, but not opening 2 is not the same as passing. I'm pretty sure the overwhelming majority of tournament players in Norway would find some kind of opening (2(Multi), 2, 3) on this hand.'
IMO,
- Most players would open 2 with the East hand.
- A likely result is 2X-3, as Douglas43 says.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users