• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

true barometers

#1 User is offline   shevek 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:whippets<br>anarchy<br>relay

Posted 2020-September-02, 04:20

If I play a barometer in face-to-face, I can look at a screen that displays standings at the end of each round.
I can see where we are running and who is leading.

Is this possible in a BBO barometer event, or am I stuck with just seeing my cumulative score after each round?
I ask because I will soon run a 2-session MP event with a break for lunch. Don't want them to have to wait till the very end to see where they are placed in the field. Ideal would be to display the top x pairs after each round.

TIA

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-02, 09:22

In a BBO barometer event your position is shown by the table number you are playing at. At least within your section.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-02, 09:41

View Postshevek, on 2020-September-02, 04:20, said:

If I play a barometer in face-to-face, I can look at a screen that displays standings at the end of each round.
I can see where we are running and who is leading.

Is this possible in a BBO barometer event, or am I stuck with just seeing my cumulative score after each round?

Unfortunately you can only see your own score - even the TD can't see a ranking list until the end of the event.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   m00036 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-02, 14:10

Table numbers are only indicative of BBO rankings if the tournament is using a swiss movement.

This feature has long been requested, along with TDs having access to travellers during the event (which players have access to but TDs don't). It's due in part to BBO having been around for so long which means that some features are fundamentally separate from others (I presume anyway), which therefore makes it hard to give TDs access to travellers even though it should be straight-forward.

#5 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-02, 18:40

The term 'barometer' confused me for ages.
In physiology, a baroreceptor is a receptor in the body that detects pressure. That's because 'baro-' in Latin means pressure.
These days a common meaning of barometer is "something that measures fluctuations or changes" in anything - not just pressure.

One great thing about barometer scoring is that a player can observe how they are tracking relative to the field during the competition.
I don't know if it really helps in Bridge, In physical sports, it would be a bit like watching the field and being ready for that last burst of energy.

In any event, at IMP's it means I can always try to pull one 'out of the hat" at the end if I am desperate to catch up. At matchpoints, it seems to be a more anodyne affair where the scores reach a plateau.
Non legit hoc

#6 User is offline   shevek 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:whippets<br>anarchy<br>relay

Posted 2020-September-02, 18:45

View Postpaulg, on 2020-September-02, 09:22, said:

In a BBO barometer event your position is shown by the table number you are playing at. At least within your section.

Might have to do that then, though Swiss is really Danish on BBO isn't it? (Meaning pairs can play each other twice?)

#7 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-02, 18:58

It turns out that the Danes actually have a name for what we call a danish, and that is Viennese bread (wienerbrød). So, they must call it Wienerbrød in Vienna, right? Nope. According to Wikipedia, the Viennese call them “Kopenhagener Plunder, referring to Copenhagen, or Dänischer Plunder“.
Non legit hoc

#8 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-02, 19:23

View Postshevek, on 2020-September-02, 18:45, said:

Might have to do that then, though Swiss is really Danish on BBO isn't it? (Meaning pairs can play each other twice?)

Yes. The only way to do a true Swiss draw is manually. And that probably requires way more work than you are willing to do, since table set up and boards also have to be done manually.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-September-03, 20:44

View Postpaulg, on 2020-September-02, 09:22, said:

I think this depends on the client version. V1 and V2 show your rank, V3 doesn't. I'm not sure why it was removed.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users