Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

kibitzing multiple tables

#1 User is offline   shed53 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-September-01, 07:07

Pre-pandemic, my club ran a "Gentle Bridge" session - relaxed atmosphere duplicate for relative beginners. One feature was that players could ask for help and one of the two very experienced players who look after the session would go to the table and answer a direct question or offer help, as appropriate.
We are working out how to translate this experience to BBO. There are several options with one of them being the text chat within BBO. We envisage the tutor joining the table as a kibitzer and we know that would work. We're wondering if it's possible for the tutor to be at all tables simultaneously so s/he would already be at any table that called her/him.
It's possible, of course, that this is heavily over-engineered as an idea and it may be straightforward for the tutor just to wait for a call (by text chat or perhaps via a TD call which gets relayed to the tutor) and then join the requisite table.

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of arrangement, especially using the kibitz feature to implement it?

Thanks in anticipation.

#2 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-01, 10:13

One thing could be: "here are a list of players willing to answer questions. They are in the tournament, so you can call them." Assuming kibs can talk to the table, things go from there. The one problem is "what if I get called and I'm already at a table?" Especially if there's a favourite, or otherwise, 80% of players call the first in the list, you could have one backed up and three sitting waiting.

Answer to that is to select a person to shuttle calls - everyone asks "mycroft" if they need help and mycroft keeps track of the helpers, and assigns them to problems. But that's a *really* boring role, that deserves even more compensation than "be an expert, help the newbies, show off your skills".
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   shed53 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-September-22, 08:42

View Postmycroft, on 2020-September-01, 10:13, said:

One thing could be: "here are a list of players willing to answer questions. They are in the tournament, so you can call them." Assuming kibs can talk to the table, things go from there. The one problem is "what if I get called and I'm already at a table?" Especially if there's a favourite, or otherwise, 80% of players call the first in the list, you could have one backed up and three sitting waiting.

Answer to that is to select a person to shuttle calls - everyone asks "mycroft" if they need help and mycroft keeps track of the helpers, and assigns them to problems. But that's a *really* boring role, that deserves even more compensation than "be an expert, help the newbies, show off your skills".

Sorry, I only just spotted this reply. Thanks for the suggestion.
We'll probably to use a variant of this. I'm going to TD these sessions and I'll keep track of pleas for help. We don't get huge volumes so we'll have one "Mycroft" and I'll know whether or not s/he's free.

#4 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-February-20, 16:48

You would need separate IDs & tabs/windows to kib 2+ tables.
Easiest to have your tutors be TDs for the tourney - you can have many TDs.
Then they can speak to table or to individual players with a question.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users