• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jacoby 2NT 2/1 ACBL

#1 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-August-30, 09:45

Is South's hand good enough for Jacoby Or should he just bid 4

OR is there another bid that should be considered?

Thank you

#2 User is offline   digiharuka 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-August-30, 10:35

Far away for Jacoby 2NT, and 4 may go down.

I would choose 1NT or 2:
1NT(no matter forcing or not), waiting North or opponent's bid, although is underrated.
2, KQ deduct value, fall to simple raise.

Maybe the final contract is 3NT. :rolleyes:
====
Consider 4 directly if is doubleton or less.

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-August-30, 10:55

You have an 11 card spade fit and values for at least a limit raise.

I'd bid 2N.
If I had to choose something else, I'd bid a 4 card limit raise.

4!S is nuts, as is 2!S
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-30, 11:24

This hand that makes a laydown slam opposite the right 10 count (Qxxxxx, x, Axx, Axx) is too good to do anything other than 2N. If partner shows short hearts you're in business.

#5 User is offline   perko90 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-30, 11:55

If you have a forcing 4-card Limit Raise (like Bergen, or whatever), I'd use that and insist on game if ptr tries to sign-off. If you don't like Bergen, consider Stenberg (2NT = inv+ 4 pc raise).
If you force me to choose between Jacoby and 4, I guess I'd take Jacoby, but wouldn't like it.

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-August-30, 15:00

DickieGera 'Is South's hand good enough for Jacoby Or should he just bid 4 OR is there another bid that should be considered?'
++++++++++++++++++++
Deal rotated. I rank ...
1. 2N = ART G/F 4+ (Jacoby).
2. 4 = PRE Underbid.
3. 2 = "NAT" Consider such bids if you'd prefer to defend rather than watch partner making game/slam :)

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-August-30, 18:00

View Postperko90, on 2020-August-30, 11:55, said:

If you have a forcing 4-card Limit Raise (like Bergen, or whatever), I'd use that and insist on game if ptr tries to sign-off. If you don't like Bergen, consider Stenberg (2NT = inv+ 4 pc raise).
If you force me to choose between Jacoby and 4, I guess I'd take Jacoby, but wouldn't like it.

PArtner had better sign off quickly!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   Huibertus 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-31, 03:54

View Postdigiharuka, on 2020-August-30, 10:35, said:

Far away for Jacoby 2NT, and 4 may go down.

I would choose 1NT or 2:
1NT(no matter forcing or not), waiting North or opponent's bid, although is underrated.
2, KQ deduct value, fall to simple raise.

Maybe the final contract is 3NT. :rolleyes:
====
Consider 4 directly if is doubleton or less.

Game force does not mean "guaranteed to make game" It means "we are not stopping below game" This hand is FAR too good to do anything else than a GF in spades. See Cyberyeti's very valid comment.

Also, once opps start to interfere on this hand you MUST have a forcing pass at the 5-level, that rules out 1NT, 2 and 4

#9 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-31, 07:10

View Postdickiegera, on 2020-August-30, 09:45, said:

Is South's hand good enough for Jacoby Or should he just bid 4

OR is there another bid that should be considered?

Thank you

In a non-competitive auction, the double jump raise should never have an ace and a king.

You could be conservative and bid 3 or be aggressive and bid 2NT.

Game will be highly likely to succeed if opener has at least two small clubs. Otherwise the duplication will usually do you in unless opener has an extra king.

I personally would force to game.

#10 User is offline   digiharuka 

• Pip

Posted 2020-August-31, 07:30

View PostHuibertus, on 2020-August-31, 03:54, said:

Game force does not mean "guaranteed to make game" It means "we are not stopping below game" This hand is FAR too good to do anything else than a GF in spades. See Cyberyeti's very valid comment.

Also, once opps start to interfere on this hand you MUST have a forcing pass at the 5-level, that rules out 1NT, 2 and 4

If you often open 1 with South's hand in the 1st/2nd seat, you must no doubt in using Jacoby 2NT when you find super-fit in partner's opening 1. What about if KQ change to KX, do you open 1? and does it reasonable to use Jacoby 2NT for super-fit trump?

The difference is I seldom open with this ugly 11HCP AND 8LTC, that's why i refuse to use Jacoby 2NT but other way to explore. In South's view the key point is to find North holding at least 3 cards or no duplicate HCP in black suits (Q and A).

Opponent may interference at 3 level if has long suit even you bid GF bid, and South must PASS at 5-level, because has (probably) 1 trick only.

====
Extra for possible North's hand(14HCP or less)
KQXXX KXX AJXX X - 4 down when opening lead
KQXXX KXXX JX AX - 4 down
KQXXX AKXX QX XX - 4 make depends on break
KQXXX XX KJX AXX - 4 make when A on-side
====
(edit) If only 2 options from Jacoby 2NT or 4, I choose 4.

#11 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-31, 07:42

View Postdigiharuka, on 2020-August-31, 07:30, said:

If you often open 1 with South's hand in the 1st/2nd seat, you must no doubt in using Jacoby 2NT when you find super-fit in partner's opening 1. What about if KQ change to KX, do you open 1? and does it reasonable to use Jacoby 2NT for super-fit trump?

The difference is I seldom open with this ugly 11HCP AND 8LTC, that's why i refuse to use Jacoby 2NT but other way to explore. In South's view the key point is to find North holding at least 3 cards or long red suits.

Opponent may interference at 3 level if has long suit even you bid GF bid, and South must PASS at 5-level, because has (probably) 1 trick only.

It is unplayable to restrict game-forcing raises to hands you would have opened.

In old Goren, for example, evaluating a prospective dummy added *many* points. Because failing to do so missed *many* sound games.

By the way, it's only 7.5 losers, according to Harrison-Gray, but I still wouldn't open it 1. And I would not force to game opposite any other suit opening. So what?

#12 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-August-31, 08:23

The difference is I seldom open with this ugly 11HCP AND 8LTC, that's why i refuse to use Jacoby 2NT but other way to explore. In South's view the key point is to find North holding at least 3 cards or no duplicate HCP in black suits (Q and A).

====
Extra for possible North's hand(14HCP or less)
KQXXX KXX AJXX X - 4 down when opening lead
KQXXX KXXX JX AX - 4 down
KQXXX AKXX QX XX - 4 make depends on break
KQXXX XX KJX AXX - 4 make when A on-side
====
(edit) If only 2 options from Jacoby 2NT or 4, I choose 4.

You are cherry picking massively here, something as bad as KQxxx, x, xxx, AJxx will make 4, partner will be 5233 a lot of the time (for you, we open 1N on this) and he needs 2 cover cards in the side suits to make game. If partner is a little better you can be making a slam very easily and won't be bidding it. While a stiff club can happen, I would discount hands with a singleton opposite either minor or two doubletons for typical examples.

#13 User is offline   Huibertus 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-31, 09:37

If you often open 1 with South's hand in the 1st/2nd seat, you must no doubt in using Jacoby 2NT when you find super-fit in partner's opening 1.

No I don't like Jacoby for a super fit. However, lacking any other bid for a super bid it is a lot better then 1NT or 2, 3 or 4 on THIS hand.

This topic is not about the question what to open with the south hand, it is about what to respond to a 1 opening.

However, I do agree with the underlying message that opening + opening is not enough for game is you open roughly all 11HCP 5 cards major, but it's just off topic.

Yes, responding with this hand, of course 4 might go down. But no way we are stopping below game with a known 6-5 fit and 10/11 HCP hands partner can have that would provide a cold slam. And for that reason, again, you MUST set up a forcing pass situation in case opps bid at the 5 level too. So Jacoby 2NT simply is the only bid that makes sense.

Apart from that, constructing example hands to show game can go down, it indeed helps to almost mirror short and longer suits in both hands like you do on the first 4 hands, but the opposite of course is more likely, like the 10HCP count Cyberyeti gave earlier.

#14 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-31, 12:17

It's not much of a GF, in that it has 8 losers. The fifth and sixth trump and the Js are waste; the Jh is probably waste; the Qc may well be waste. Still, you don't want to stop below 4S.

In standard, it's a bit strong for a 4S bid (I don't want to miss slam when partner has a great hand), so I would overbid just slightly with 2NT Jacoby and then try as hard as I can to put the brakes on after that.

Cheers,
Mike

#15 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-31, 14:34

View Postmiamijd, on 2020-August-31, 12:17, said:

It's not much of a GF, in that it has 8 losers. The fifth and sixth trump and the Js are waste; the Jh is probably waste; the Qc may well be waste. Still, you don't want to stop below 4S.

In standard, it's a bit strong for a 4S bid (I don't want to miss slam when partner has a great hand), so I would overbid just slightly with 2NT Jacoby and then try as hard as I can to put the brakes on after that.

Cheers,
Mike

The fifth and sixth trump *usually* turn out to be waste.

But paying throw-ins are available much more often with 5-6 fits than with 5-4.

#16 User is offline   crapdown4 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-August-31, 15:52

View Postbluenikki, on 2020-August-31, 14:34, said:

The fifth and sixth trump *usually* turn out to be waste.

But paying throw-ins are available much more often with 5-6 fits than with 5-4.

OK, first of all, there is no "right" bid on this hand. It's too good for 4S and too weak for Jacoby 2NT. If you cook up some kind of temporizing bid like 2C, then fourth hand might preempt you out of your shorts and you'll never be able to show how strong your spades are.

Because there is definitely a danger of preemptive action by fourth hand--he's short in spades, after all, and if pard has a minimum he might have considerable strength--I vote for the least lie--4S.

#17 User is offline   Wolfbag 

• Pip

Posted 2020-September-01, 05:50

Far too good for 4S - I'm fine with 2NT but Jacoby can be played any number of ways - personally I play it as forcing to game with possible slam interest - but the next stage would be a cue-bidding sequence (rather than suit showing) - cue bids to show 1st round controls up the line (including KS) - and my next intended bid probably 3S to show AS and deny other 1st round controls - there's a whole range of hands I would expect to find opposite - from slam to the extremely unlikely 4S going off - partner MUST have some kind of shape and I would expect to be extremely unfortunate to go off in 4S

#18 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-01, 06:55

View PostWolfbag, on 2020-September-01, 05:50, said:

Far too good for 4S - I'm fine with 2NT but Jacoby can be played any number of ways - personally I play it as forcing to game with possible slam interest - but the next stage would be a cue-bidding sequence (rather than suit showing) - cue bids to show 1st round controls up the line (including KS) - and my next intended bid probably 3S to show AS and deny other 1st round controls - there's a whole range of hands I would expect to find opposite - from slam to the extremely unlikely 4S going off - partner MUST have some kind of shape and I would expect to be extremely unfortunate to go off in 4S

If you call it extremely unlikely for opener to hold doubleton AJ in clubs, then OK. But most such hands will have no play for 10 tricks.

Personally, I would call it merely unlikely.

#19 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-September-01, 07:20

View Postbluenikki, on 2020-September-01, 06:55, said:

If you call it extremely unlikely for opener to hold doubleton AJ in clubs, then OK. But most such hands will have no play for 10 tricks.

Personally, I would call it merely unlikely.

I would suggest off the top of my head it's <1%, if I get bored I might do the calculations, but it's one specific case of the doubletons from 11 cards, and doubleton is not maximally likely anyway, plus hands like Qxxxxx, x, AKxx, AJ make 6 anyway (and Qxxxxx, x, xxxx, AJ while nowhere near an opening bid is solid for 4, it's all about the shape.

#20 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-01, 08:24

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-September-01, 07:20, said:

I would suggest off the top of my head it's <1%, if I get bored I might do the calculations, but it's one specific case of the doubletons from 11 cards, and doubleton is not maximally likely anyway, plus hands like Qxxxxx, x, AKxx, AJ make 6 anyway (and Qxxxxx, x, xxxx, AJ while nowhere near an opening bid is solid for 4, it's all about the shape.

North's hand

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users