BBO Discussion Forums: Just when you think you and Gib have an understanding - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just when you think you and Gib have an understanding This happens

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-August-30, 18:34

Was mentioning my clubs that bad an idea. How could I escape. Is it me, GiB, the bidding system or something else?

I am seriously considering avoiding the 2C bid most of the time and risking being left below game, or using strong pre-empts despite them going against the bid defintions. But I don't think using pre-empts to pre-empt your partner is good bridge practice :)

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-30, 18:48

3 is a hopeless bid.

You get 100% of the blame on this one.

Even if partner has 9 clubs you'd rather play this in hearts.

I also tend to think that opening 2 rather than 1 in the first place is probably bad.

Opening 2 on wildly distributional hands rarely works out, as you never have room to show the shape.

1-1-3-3-4-p...easy hand.

#3 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-30, 19:02

View PostTylerE, on 2020-August-30, 18:48, said:

3 is a hopeless bid.

You get 100% of the blame on this one.

Thx Tyler

I just learned a different approach to showing two suits but maybe I shouldn't do it after 2C. I keep getting misunderstandings with GiB :)

#4 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-30, 19:24

With a human I don't mind 2, though if I did so I wouldn't follow it up with 2; you know looking at your hand you want to set hearts as trumps immediately and only encourage partner to bid on if they have a couple of tricks, so a jump to 4 might be appropriate (see Jump to game in a major: https://www.kwbridge.com/bb/b_2c.htm ).

With GIB opening 2 on weaker distributional hands is extremely dangerous as it will always play you for way more HCP that you actually do; your auction a case in point. It is highly unlikely 1 will be passed out (even if partner can't respond to 1, that leaves a lot of points, spades, and diamonds in the other hands, so one of the opps is likely to assist you by overcalling).

#5 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-30, 20:09

View Postsmerriman, on 2020-August-30, 19:24, said:

With a human I don't mind 2, though if I did so I wouldn't follow it up with 2; you know looking at your hand you want to set hearts as trumps immediately and only encourage partner to bid on if they have a couple of tricks, so a jump to 4 might be appropriate (see Jump to game in a major: https://www.kwbridge.com/bb/b_2c.htm ).

With GIB opening 2 on weaker distributional hands is extremely dangerous as it will always play you for way more HCP that you actually do; your auction a case in point. It is highly unlikely 1 will be passed out (even if partner can't respond to 1, that leaves a lot of points, spades, and diamonds in the other hands, so one of the opps is likely to assist you by overcalling).

Thx Stephen and for the link. I can imagine myself getting into some difficult 2C explanations occasionally :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users