BBO Discussion Forums: Play 3N - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play 3N

#1 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2020-August-17, 07:45

1C showed 2+, 2C was an inverted raise, and thereafter the auction was natural. The opening lead was a small heart. Plan the play.

'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#2 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-18, 03:26

I expect East to have the king of spades, QJ of hearts and the KQ of clubs for his 2 level intervention. He probably has six hearts but may have five. I would play off four rounds of diamonds ending in North (I don't think it matters that the king of hearts is stranded). If East, say, throws a spade and a heart, I would lead the ace and another club. If East wins and exits with a heart, I win and play one back. I think I succeed whenever East has Kxxx QJxxx xx KQ but I might fail if East has Kxx QJxxx xx KQx and unblocks a top club under the ace. On that layout I have to play ace and another spade after East pitches a spade. I would like to know which heart was led, and what their agreements are in partner's suit. If East has six hearts it might be a lot easier. Very interesting problem.

And we share an interest in golf, red wine and cooking. But your claim of making bad posts is wrong.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#3 User is offline   s_justesen 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-August-18, 06:57

Trick 2 small club. Duck a heart. win heart, club to the ace, 4 times diamond, ending in hand. now it's time to an end play of east, in heart (or top of the king)

#4 User is offline   digiharuka 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-August-18, 07:06

NS have 8 tricks and seeking Q to make the contract. East 2 bid assume holds long , so planning to endplay East.
A, 4 diamonds ending in hand(South) and K.
If West discards from K, dummy discard S6 otherwise C3 (That means East hold 7 cards )
If West follow from K and East discard only(when cashing diamonds) (That means East hold 5-6 cards ), play A and 4 hope East hold both KQ. No matter East takes tricks, East needs to exit (3-3 break) or to AQ.
If West follow from K and East discard black suit, play A and 6 to hope East reamins Kx.
If all fail, the last chance is when West take a and exit , finesses Q to make or down 2.
3NT always make when East hold KQ(x), and down if East holds 4-x-x-2/3-x-x-3 and KQ split.

======
I would rather to take +300(defense 2X-2) than +600(3NT=)

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2020-August-18, 14:07

View Postlamford, on 2020-August-18, 03:26, said:

I expect East to have the king of spades, QJ of hearts and the KQ of clubs for his 2 level intervention. He probably has six hearts but may have five. I would play off four rounds of diamonds ending in North (I don't think it matters that the king of hearts is stranded). If East, say, throws a spade and a heart, I would lead the ace and another club. If East wins and exits with a heart, I win and play one back. I think I succeed whenever East has Kxxx QJxxx xx KQ but I might fail if East has Kxx QJxxx xx KQx and unblocks a top club under the ace. On that layout I have to play ace and another spade after East pitches a spade. I would like to know which heart was led, and what their agreements are in partner's suit. If East has six hearts it might be a lot easier. Very interesting problem.

And we share an interest in golf, red wine and cooking. But your claim of making bad posts is wrong.

The lead was a low heart, consistent with xxx or xx...it was the 5 and rho played the 6, standard methods.

My wife was watching (in real life, no kibs allowed online because this was in our Senior’s trials). I was dummy and I told Debbie:

He’s going to duck a club. No risk unless rho wins (my rho) and returns either the spade 10 or Jack. Probably LHO wins the club. Duck the heart, win the heart, cash the club, run the diamonds and either drop the spade king or tuck LHO in with a heart.

LHO won the club king, returned the heart q, ducked, then a low heart, won with the king as rho played the 10. Now club Ace and 4 diamonds ending in hand.

LHO could have caused a problem were he 3523 or 2524 or some such, where he has a 3rd or 4th club. He can stiff his spade king and keep a club winner. But statistically, given that we have 7 clubs and only 6 spades, this isn’t ‘likely’, plus he’d still have to stiff that spade king smoothly.

As it happened, he had KJx QJ9xx xxx K10, so there was no escape.

He’s actually best off to duck the club. It’s not an easy play and could be wrong, but it’s the right play as the cards lie, and has some theoretical merit. His partner wins and has to shift to the spade 10. A lower spade is ducked, and the squeeze/endplay still works. If he fires the 10, declarer has to insert the Queen. When this fails, down he goes so long as either my rho has the spade 9 or, if the player with the KJx returns a spade now. If declarer has 9xx, no defence beats it. Also, if he ducks the club, and my partner held J9 instead of Jx, the club suit produces the 9th trick. So I thought it an interesting hand.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-19, 01:30

View Postmikeh, on 2020-August-18, 14:07, said:

As it happened, he had KJx QJ9xx xxx K10, so there was no escape.

That's a pretty ugly 2 over-call? I was expecting that it would most likely be a six-card suit.

The lead was the 5 from 105X? Is it possible for West to win the second heart with the ten and attack spades from the west hand?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users