BBO Discussion Forums: 1M with artificial Gazzilli-like 2C rebid, in a weak NT context - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1M with artificial Gazzilli-like 2C rebid, in a weak NT context 12-14 No Trump with "invitational Gazzilli"

#1 User is offline   JLilly 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-August-11, 13:10

Hi all, a partner and I are working on improving our weak-NT, 2/1 system. We want to be able to open 1 on 12-14-count 5(332) hands, but this leaves opener's 2m rebids after responder's semi-forcing 1NT very undefined. So the idea is to put all of the strong-NT hands into 2, which then is natural and less than a jumpshift OR 15-17 5(332). Responder shows any hand that's inv+ opposite the strong NT with 2; all other bids are minimum, or perhaps some picture jumps at the 3-level.

Then I figured, at this point, maybe we should just import an established Gazzilli system, but treatments that my searches have turned up all assume a strong NT context, where 1-1NT; 2 could be a weak NT hand that has to manufacture a 2 rebid. Can anyone point me to a well-elaborated weak-NT Gazzilli system? Or, alternatively, one that still uses opener's jumpshifts for strong hands, but uses the two-way 2 rebid described above?

We currently play invitational jumpshifts of 1M-3m, and the three-card limit raise of 1M goes through 1NT; it would now start with a 2 response if opener's second bid is 2. Thanks!

#2 User is offline   spotlight7 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-August-11, 22:44

View PostJLilly, on 2020-August-11, 13:10, said:

Hi all, a partner and I are working on improving our weak-NT, 2/1 system. We want to be able to open 1 on 12-14-count 5(332) hands, but this leaves opener's 2m rebids after responder's semi-forcing 1NT very undefined. So the idea is to put all of the strong-NT hands into 2, which then is natural and less than a jumpshift OR 15-17 5(332). Responder shows any hand that's inv+ opposite the strong NT with 2; all other bids are minimum, or perhaps some picture jumps at the 3-level.

Then I figured, at this point, maybe we should just import an established Gazzilli system, but treatments that my searches have turned up all assume a strong NT context, where 1-1NT; 2 could be a weak NT hand that has to manufacture a 2 rebid. Can anyone point me to a well-elaborated weak-NT Gazzilli system? Or, alternatively, one that still uses opener's jumpshifts for strong hands, but uses the two-way 2 rebid described above?

We currently play invitational jumpshifts of 1M-3m, and the three-card limit raise of 1M goes through 1NT; it would now start with a 2 response if opener's second bid is 2. Thanks!

Gazzilli on Bridge Winners has a number of concepts. One is 1S-1N*-2C*(clubs or strong)

-2D*-2H* denies four clubs and also not strong NT values.

I like to use 1M-2C* to show a 2/1 type GF or a limit raise.

2M making 2 at your table and 3M-1 at the other table is a fairly steady source of MPs or IMPs.

#3 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2020-August-12, 06:51

How about

1 = NAT or any 15-20 BAL
... "Swedish" T-Walsh, basically:
...1M-1 = 4+ M
......1M = 3 M or 15-17 BAL
.........1 = 4(+) S
............1N = (often) 15-17 BAL, 2-3 S and 2-3 H
............2 = 15-17 BAL, 4-5 H
............2 = often 15-17 BAL, 4-5 S
.........1N = to play opposite 15-17 BAL, 2-3 M
............P: often 15-17 BAL, 2-3 M
............2M = 15-17 BAL, 4-5 M
......1N = 18-20 BAL, 2-3 M
1M = 5+ M, but 12-14 if BAL
...1N = NF, does not include any 3c LR
......P = usually 12-14, 5M(332)
......2+ = Gazzilli complex (always unBAL, so independent of NT range!)
...2x(x<M) = standard or LR with 3M4+x
......2M = to play opposite the LR
......other: NAT GF
1N = 12-14 BAL, no 5c M

?

(Assuming you (an American playing mainly in ACBL events?) are allowed to play T-Walsh (finally!) but not yet 1M-2 as "NAT or 3c limit raise".)

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-August-12, 11:54

If you are (north) American, and playing ACBL events, both T-Walsh and "Drury by unpassed hand" (yes, I know what nullve mentioned isn't that, but it's a close enough variation) is allowed Open Chart or higher (because effectively everything(*) is legal starting with responder). If you want to play either, you either have to give up playing in limited events, or have an easy-switch version (you can remember!) for said limited events. IMHO, giving up limited events is easier and more fun.

*: Complete list of disallowed Responses:
  • Psyching an Artificial response below 2NT to an opening bid or overcall.
  • Psychic controls.

When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users