Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

One Slip How should you play?

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-August-06, 09:12

Playing against the Zimmermann Team in the Online Cup you reach 4H here but find the hands do not fit well. North leads an obvious singleton 6. How are you going to bring home this game with just one slip by an opponent? Alex Hydes found the right way as West.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2020-August-06, 12:14

I wn in hand and lead a heart. I am hoping North holds the Ace and that he ducks. If hearts are 2-2, one duck is all I need. Even if North wins, he will have to switch to a club.

What I need to do, if North ducks the trump, is decide whether to play for 2-2 hearts or a further (?) error by north...actually, ducking is correct if he has Axx, since south can tell him what to lead, by way of a signal on the second round. So I won’t assume south has a stiff trump and can signal the club ace.

Thus, winning the heart in dummy, I lead a club. South is toast. He ducks, I lose no clubs. He flies, cashes spade K and gives a ruff with north’s stiff heart Ace. If he flies and returns a diamond (or unlikely heart), I pitch two spades on the clubs.

There’s no point trying for North holding the club ace and south the trump.

Also, I’d lead the trump 6, not the 3. Most top players give suit preference in trump, so if North flies with the Ace, I want south’s spot to be, if possible, ambiguous. Give north A2, and south 84, his 4 may be read as from 43, thus suggesting a diamond switch.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2020-August-06, 16:05

View Postmikeh, on 2020-August-06, 12:14, said:

Thus, winning the heart in dummy, I lead a club. South is toast.

I think North is a big favourite to hold the ace of hearts and the ace of clubs, having overcalled 1D on a queen high suit. How will you make it when he has both?

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2020-August-06, 17:34

View Postlamford, on 2020-August-06, 16:05, said:

I think North is a big favourite to hold the ace of hearts and the ace of clubs, having overcalled 1D on a queen high suit. How will you make it when he has both?

And south a big favourite to hold KJ10x and basically a Yarborough after that, for bidding 1S after his rho made a negative double, implying (and for most of us, promising) 4 spades?

In any event, a reasonable alternative to my suggested line would be to win in hand, heart up, assuming a duck, eliminate diamonds and exit a heart. Still needs trump 2-2. Actually, since this requires the same trumps, and error by North, this is, I think, a better line.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-06, 17:36

View Postlamford, on 2020-August-06, 16:05, said:

Wow, did Alex really make this when North has both aces?

Play is very complex but assume North has 5 or 6 diamonds for the overcall, and South has 4 spades for the 1 advance.

Spoiler

This is a book or magazine feature quality hand.

#6 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2020-August-07, 09:34

View Postjohnu, on 2020-August-06, 17:36, said:

Wow, did Alex really make this when North has both aces?

Play is very complex but assume North has 5 or 6 diamonds for the overcall, and South has 4 spades for the 1 advance.

Spoiler

This is a book or magazine feature quality hand.

Yes, North did duck, fearing that his partner had Qx in trumps, and Alex did play three rounds of diamonds, ruffing in hand, and exited with a heart. North, winning with Ax, tried a low club but Alex won and simply exited with a low club, throwing a spade from dummy and claimed! Very pretty.

#7 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2020-August-07, 09:39

View Postmikeh, on 2020-August-06, 17:34, said:

And south a big favourite to hold KJ10x and basically a Yarborough after that, for bidding 1S after his rho made a negative double, implying (and for most of us, promising) 4 spades?

In any event, a reasonable alternative to my suggested line would be to win in hand, heart up, assuming a duck, eliminate diamonds and exit a heart. Still needs trump 2-2. Actually, since this requires the same trumps, and error by North, this is, I think, a better line.

If you hover over the alert of Double it showed 4+ hearts, and said nothing about spades.
https://www.youtube....h?v=lccrmYjBWGU

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users