chess
    clarinet
    soccer
    dogs
    music
    championship manager
    biking & trekking

Posted 2016-February-24, 15:56

How do we create a Swiss Team Tournament, any idea?

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-February-24, 22:22

There is no software support for swiss teams, so you have to do it manually. You need to write to BBO and beg them to allow you to TD multiple tournaments, and then create the corresponding number of team matches each round. Very clunky.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-25, 02:57

View Postmgoetze, on 2016-February-24, 22:22, said:

There is no software support for swiss teams, so you have to do it manually. You need to write to BBO and beg them to allow you to TD multiple tournaments, and then create the corresponding number of team matches each round. Very clunky.

There is support for Swiss Teams in the software as BBO have started running them. I've also run one as part of the testing process. But I don't know if BBO permits regular TDs to run them yet.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-February-25, 12:00

Welcome to the forums, doktrin. Please notice that there are separate forums for bridge questions and BBO questions. I've moved this thread to the BBO area.

#5 User is offline   mmbridge 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-April-11, 06:41

View Postpaulg, on 2016-February-25, 02:57, said:

There is support for Swiss Teams in the software as BBO have started running them. I've also run one as part of the testing process. But I don't know if BBO permits regular TDs to run them yet.

Who, when, and where runs them.

I am running a round robin team game (12 board matches) today (04/11/2020) and next Saturday using the "clunky" method mentioned above.

Jim Fox (mmbridge)

#6 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-11, 07:31

View Postmmbridge, on 2020-April-11, 06:41, said:

Who, when, and where runs them.

No-one is running them at the moment.

BBO were developing the capability and I was one of the beta testers because I have a tame bunch of slaves juniors and am known to the BBO staff. I no longer have the capability to run them.

There are a number of issues with running a Swiss Teams event, some of which are different today than they were.
  • Most BBO players do not like long tournaments; this is definitely changing as many new members are looking to replicate their club environment and play 24-28 boards in a session.
  • Connections are unreliable and the substitutions are a pain in a large tournament; connections are improving in many parts of the world, but a lot are still unreliable.

So running a short Swiss teams event, say 4 x 6-board rounds, was definitely doable. But the ability to split a Swiss teams over sessions, score by different scales, IMP/VP20/VP30/WBF VP/SBU VP, handle an odd number of teams correctly, etc still needed to be developed.

You also have to be able to handle a team wanting to drop out or not turning up for the second session. And it would be nice if you could extract the results from BBO.

So there are many considerations before deciding how to implement this on the BBO platform. And then clubs and NBOs will say Swiss teams is nice, but we want round-robin and multiple teams!

BBO will need to prioritise a teams offering with making all the changes to pairs games that people are demanding.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#7 User is offline   shadowfax9 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-July-29, 14:26

Is is possible for a 1000+ bridge base user to set up and run a 6 team Round robin Swiss event: 5 rounds of 3 matches each. Yes I know how to create a single team game. Yes I know I would have to set up 3 matches by entering all 24 users names for each round. My question is does anyone know if Bridge Base will allow me to set up three team games at one time, and do that ever 50 minutes for 5 rounds.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-August-01, 11:41

View Postshadowfax9, on 2020-July-29, 14:26, said:

Is is possible for a 1000+ bridge base user to set up and run a 6 team Round robin Swiss event: 5 rounds of 3 matches each. Yes I know how to create a single team game. Yes I know I would have to set up 3 matches by entering all 24 users names for each round. My question is does anyone know if Bridge Base will allow me to set up three team games at one time, and do that ever 50 minutes for 5 rounds.

Unless you get TD permissions, you can only create one team match at time.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users