Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1NT - (3X) & similar Good agreements to handle interference

#1 User is offline   heart76 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-August-24, 09:35

Hi everyone. I'm seeking expert advice about how to 'best' handle 3-level interference over our strong 1NT opening.
I have started looking into this and have some thoughts which I'll share here. You don't need to take these into account, but always positive if you can comment - constructive criticism is always welcome ;)

1NT - (3): same system as over our strong 2NT, where X = Puppet.
My consideration here is that, since the 2-level contracts are no more available, hands within 8-ish HP (not AA or AK) would pass. However, I am still thinking about when responder sits with values and would like to X for penalties.

1NT - (3): this is a hell of a problem to fit both 4/5 , asking for a stopper and minor(s).
What about having a forcing pass here, where a weak responder would take out in his 2nd round?

1NT - (p) - 2/2 - (3): this will be easier since responder has already shown his length in .

But what about when you sit with 64 and invitational values and it goes:
(1) - 1NT - (p) - 2
(3) - p (denying 3 ) - (p): what is your 3 now, natural 5-4? X = re-transfer or penalties? Or maybe pass by opener should now be something else than denying support in the shown major?

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-August-24, 13:23

When the overcall is 3M, consider using 4m as nonleaping Michaels.

If they overcall in spades and you have values there, partner may well reopen with a double.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-24, 16:12

I don't know about experts, but personally I play 3X as NF invitational, double as optional (more like takeout over 3, and optional over 3), and the four-level as two-suited hands (over their 3m, 4 is om+M, 4 is both M. Over their 3M, 4m is that m + oM, their 4M is both m, 4NT is unused).

I'm not too keen on waiting for the 1NT-bidder to reopen the bidding. Preemptive jumps over 1NT tend to be at least semi-solid, so it is not that clear that the hand is ours. Personally I like a flexible (optional) double. As always, if the opponents preempt there is not enough space to achieve everything you want. So pick some goals (reaching your 4M most of the time and punishing them when appropriate, for example) and accept that the situation is less than perfect. Your 1NT-(3) example illustrates the situation beautifully, it is simply not possible to account for weak hands by responder, distinguish 4/5 and look for spade stoppers.

On the sequence (1)-1NT-(P)-2*; (3)-P**-(P)-?

I don't really see the problem. You are virtually guaranteed a spade fit and I wouldn't worry much about choice of games, but if you insist you could play 3 as 5=4 and 4 as 6=4 (surely partner will bid 4 over 4 with a 2=4 in the majors, even without prior agreement?). By contrast a direct 4 would show 5=5 (although you probably should have bid 4 immediately with that hand). And, as always, X is optional (which is especially necessary if pass doesn't deny three spades).

*Transfer
**Why does this deny three spades? I think it is standard to play transfers starting at 0 points, please don't hang me partner with some support double one level higher.

#4 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-August-25, 10:44

On your 1NT (3x) situation:

You lose a lot of precision in this sort of auction. All you can do is try to land on your feet. If you don't have a hand that has a chance for game, you are better off just passing and defending.

It's pretty standard to play negative (card-showing) doubles here. Yes, this bid gets a bit overworked, but that's about all you can do if you don't have a 3NT call (I would want some semblance of a stopper for that) or a 3x or 4x (game force) bid in your hand.

For your second auction:

3S does NOT deny three card support. 3S generally shows four-card support. You have to agree on what X shows here: is it penalties or is it a max with three spades. If it's penalties, then 3S could be a max with three spades.

With a minimum to minimum plus hand with three spades, you will pass.

I don't see the problem here with a 6/4 invite. Just bid 3S. You have at least an eight-card fit.

Cheers,
mike

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-25, 11:43

1NT (3)
==
X = takeout
3 = 5+
3 = 5+
3 = stop ask or
3NT = to play
4 = + major
4 = both majors
--

1NT (3)
==
X = takeout
3 = 5+
3 = 5+
3NT = to play
4 = 6+ (A Leaping Michaels-style + major is an alternative)
4 = both majors
--

1NT (3)
==
X = takeout
3 = 5+ ( + goes here if not using LM)
3NT = to play
4 = 6+ (Leaping Michaels-style 4m bids are an alternative)
4 = 6+ (Leaping Michaels-style 4m bids are an alternative)
4 = +
--

1NT (3)
==
X = takeout
3NT = to play
4 = 5+, 5+ (natural 6+ is an alternative)
4 = 5+, 5+ (natural 6+ is an alternative)
4 = to play
--
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users