BBO Discussion Forums: Two-suited overcalls of 1m (non-canapé) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Two-suited overcalls of 1m (non-canapé)

#1 User is offline   JLilly 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-July-30, 17:04

Does anyone have experience with obstructive, two-level jump overcalls showing 5-4 hands? I'm thinking in particular using (1)-2 to show five+ hearts and four spades, with (1)-2 now showing four M and five+ clubs. This has a number of advantages compared to Michaels and Unusual 2NT:

(1)-2 puts their cues above 3 of their suit, unlike Michaels.
(1)-2 will often be passed by advancer, so opps are more pressured.
(1)-2 denies them an easy penalty/values double.
(1)-2 gives them only one, costly cue.
(1)-2 puts you on the hook for only eight tricks while (1)-2NT requires you to take nine.
(1)-2 lets you make an overcall with clubs+spades in a single bid, which requires two bids and thus substantially more strength with standard methods.

You lose the natural 2 overcall; on the other hand, they can easily find their 4-4 spade fit anyway. You lose strong Michaels; a solution is to use (1)-2NT for any strong two-suited hand.

Thanks

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-July-30, 18:53

I play a 1NT overcall as showing 4-5 hands in some partnerships. This is known as Raptor, and normally (1m)-1NT shows five cards in the other minor, with the major being unknown. Though for some reason I play it, in one partnership, as showing four spades and five in either hearts or the other minor.

Either way, I think I like to use 1NT better than the cuebid, as forcing partner to bid 3 is a bit risky.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2020-July-30, 22:00

I have been using a form of Roman Jump Overcalls (RJO) for several years with several partners.
5-4 hands have significant frequency, 25%. :)

Jump Overcalls show two touching suits, the suit bid 5+ and the touching higher suit 4+. If the higher touching suit is a major of Hxxxx or better, we show it first naturally.

Non-touching suits are shown with a cue bid:

(1) 2 = 5+ & 4+
(1) 2 = 4+ & 5+
(1) 2 = 4+ & 5+
(1) 2 = 4+ & 5+

Jump to 2NT = 5-5 and somewhat stronger than above schemes.
5440 hands are treated similarly if one of the 4-cd suits is very weak, xxxx.
We don't use the schemes with 6-4 hands usually.
One gives up weak jump overcalls with this approach. :(

Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-July-31, 03:12

View Posthelene_t, on 2020-July-30, 18:53, said:

I play a 1NT overcall as showing 4-5 hands in some partnerships. This is known as Raptor, and normally (1m)-1NT shows five cards in the other minor, with the major being unknown. Though for some reason I play it, in one partnership, as showing four spades and five in either hearts or the other minor. Either way, I think I like to use 1NT better than the cuebid, as forcing partner to bid 3 is a bit risky.

Like HeleneT, we've adopted Kit Woolsey's recommendation to play Raptor, especially when opponent's minor might be short. Then 1N = 5+ any m & 4+ any M.

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-05, 04:52

(1m)
==
2m = wjo in a major; or 5+, 5+ om, strong
2 = 5+, 4+, weak
2 = 5+, 4+ om, weak
2NT = 5+, 5+ om
3m = 5+, 5+, strong
jump om = wjo, nat