Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is this a cue bid? (1C)1D(P)1H(P)2C... - support in H with 10+ TP

#1 User is offline   mamusia1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-July-26, 05:27

Is it differeent if opp play short club?

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-July-26, 05:35

It is easiest to play this as a cue bid whether they are playing a short club or not.

Given that your partner has overcalled in diamonds, responder has not been able to bid a major, and you have bid hearts, it is more likely that the club is not short in this case.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-28, 03:24

I agree with Paul about not playing this 2 bis as natural but disagree with OP about it guaranteeing heart support.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#4 User is offline   dokoko 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding System Design
    Walking my dogs
    2 player Hanabi

Posted 2020-August-08, 09:54

View Postpaulg, on 2020-July-26, 05:35, said:

It is easiest to play this as a cue bid whether they are playing a short club or not.

Given that your partner has overcalled in diamonds, responder has not been able to bid a major, and you have bid hearts, it is more likely that the club is not short in this case.

I don't think that there is evidence that the 1 bid is unlikely to be short. Why can't opener be 4-3 in our suits? And noone bidding spades makes it more likely that opener has four of them.

That said I would not play 2 as natural here.

#5 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2020-August-08, 13:15

Sir,
The text books do not clearly have anything in them.1is just a simple overcall and now it appears suddenly excited with your 1response.This indeed sounds queer unless the partnership has specific understandings.Responder has not bid .Who has what?.Was responder waiting for a reopening double by opener with 4 spades.Some partnerships for reasons best known to them treat a 1-1-1 as showing a five card suit.But would he use the negative double with a 4243 and a miserly 6/7 HCP.Very difficult to decipher this 2bid.It can't be taken to be a cue bid, unless agreed to earlier.Personally,think it as just a one round forcing bid to keep the level low.I am just wondering what should he bid with. xxx-Kx-AKJxx-Axx. Please ,I am not in any way suggesting that this hand may bid 2.

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-09, 05:49

View Postmsjennifer, on 2020-August-08, 13:15, said:

Sir,
The text books do not clearly have anything in them.1is just a simple overcall and now it appears suddenly excited with your 1response.This indeed sounds queer unless the partnership has specific understandings.

Maybe it is as simple as the 1 advance being constructive + forcing and the Overcaller having a maximum 1 bid?
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users