• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

what comes next?

#21 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-July-23, 10:55

View Postbluenikki, on 2020-July-23, 10:36, said:

You are talking about the inherent difficulty of arranging responses/rebids to allow opening bids like this. But if you agree to open junkpiles like this, you are insane if you haven't done that arranging.

This is your *last* chance to show support, rather than tolerance.

It's problematic to raise with mins even if you exclude trash like this example hand. There's just not enough room to show extras below 3nt.
It is not the last chance to show diamond support; later support can be real support because tolerance hands can mostly rebid M or NT or a 4th suit scramble (1s-2d-2s-3c-3h!). It's not like partial auctions where you are frequently needing to show tolerance for a 2 level partial without a real fit.

Showing support isn't that useful with the weaker hands when a very large percentage of the time 3nt is the target vs 5m.

#22 User is offline   Huibertus 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-July-23, 11:02

View Postarepo24, on 2020-July-22, 09:59, said:

Your hand:
S -KJ762
H -KJ
D- J1073
C- Q10 = 11 points

You open: 1S
Your partner responds 2D
What is my next bid?

Next time you decide to open such a hand, open 1NT if that is 12-14, or open 2 weak if available.

Now, do whatever is weak, but don't pass, and hope you don't end up too high.

#23 User is offline   heart76 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-24, 04:35

View PostStephen Tu, on 2020-July-23, 08:45, said:

Because it's tough to deal with an 11-20 hcp range for 3d with only a couple steps left below 3nt.

Why should 3D now be this wide? I play it as a bare min with lack of stop(s) for NT.
If 2D is showing 10/11+, 3D can't be more than 12/13 HCP and the weakest bid in the system.
2NT is an inch better and partner is allowed to pass... almost never.
3C is 16+. 3NT 14-16 approx.

#24 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-24, 04:58

View Postheart76, on 2020-July-24, 04:35, said:

Why should 3D now be this wide? I play it as a bare min with lack of stop(s) for NT.
If 2D is showing 10/11+, 3D can't be more than 12/13 HCP and the weakest bid in the system.
2NT is an inch better and partner is allowed to pass... almost never.
3C is 16+. 3NT 14-16 approx.

OK you are not playing 2/1 and you are playing 3d as some min range hand not accepting anything. Fine. Now:
- what do you do with a good hand with spades and diamonds? You say 3c? Then what do you do with a good hand with spades and clubs? Or is 3C a good hand with either clubs or diamonds? How do you disentangle all this?

- you say you bid 3nt with 14-16, what do you do with 17+? lump those into 3c too?

#25 User is offline   arepo24 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-24, 07:18

STOP!!!
Hahaha! This is more information than I can possibly process. There is so much stuff out there that it starts to become confusing.
I DID thank all of you for your comments and very fine advice.
Now allow me please to digest it all and change my wicked ways.

#26 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-24, 08:14

View PostStephen Tu, on 2020-July-23, 10:55, said:

It's problematic to raise with mins even if you exclude trash like this example hand. There's just not enough room to show extras below 3nt.
It is not the last chance to show diamond support; later support can be real support because tolerance hands can mostly rebid M or NT or a 4th suit scramble (1s-2d-2s-3c-3h!). It's not like partial auctions where you are frequently needing to show tolerance for a 2 level partial without a real fit.

Showing support isn't that useful with the weaker hands when a very large percentage of the time 3nt is the target vs 5m.

The sensible approach is to reserve a (possibly artificial) rebid for opener to show a king above the agreed range of "minimum opening" and have all other rebids be as descriptive as possible and deny such extra.

As to last chance: I meant last chance below 3NT

#27 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-24, 08:42

if i open i would rebid 2 spades to show min, but i dont open this

#28 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-July-24, 10:42

View PostStephen Tu, on 2020-July-24, 04:58, said:

OK you are not playing 2/1 and you are playing 3d as some min range hand not accepting anything. Fine. Now:
- what do you do with a good hand with spades and diamonds? You say 3c? Then what do you do with a good hand with spades and clubs? Or is 3C a good hand with either clubs or diamonds? How do you disentangle all this?

- you say you bid 3nt with 14-16, what do you do with 17+? lump those into 3c too?

If it is semi-balanced, make the NT bid which shows my point count.
If it is a very good hand with slam possibilities if partner is also good, bid 4. Partner can sign off in 4NT or 5 with no slam interest.
If I have six spades, rebid the spades.
Very occasionally, I might have to make a forcing bid such as 3, that won't come up very often so partner is free to assume a club suit .

#29 User is offline   DCal 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:reading, playing guitar, bridge of course

Posted 2020-July-24, 11:02

I cannot see myself opening this hand in first or second seat. It creates the type of problem the opener encountered. For some strange reason, though, assuming I would open, I would have raised to three diamonds. After a first seat opening you cannot pass (unless you were making some sort of psychic bid, but this is not the proper type of hand for that). Your three diamonds bid shows a minimum (in this case a sub-minimum).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users