Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

openig leads

#1 User is offline   phoenixmj 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-July-10, 22:36

Given the auction, I would think that it would be good to lead a major. Question is, which major? Also, I think that if the decision is to lead spades, the proper card to lead would be the Queen. If Hearts were led, the proper card I think would be the 3.

What would you lead and also, please comment on whether my statement is correct on which card given spades or hearts as a lead.

Also, any reasoning behind the lead will be appreciated.

#2 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-July-11, 00:58

Which card to lead depends on partnership agreements, but for me the choice would also be between the queen of spades and the three of hearts.

That being said, this is a tough decision. On the bidding West likely has 3 or fewer spades, and East will not have five of them. The suit is likely to break 4-4-3-2 or 4-3-3-3, which means if partner gets the lead once or twice you could pick up four tricks there even opposite just xx(x). Leading them might well hand declarer a spade trick they don't deserve. But leading a heart is similarly risky - partner needs quite some values before we can promote a heart, especially since you want partner to focus on spades. Leading a heart only seems winning if partner has something like KJxx or KTxxx.

At the table I would lead the queen of spades, and pray for either West or South to have the king of spades so I did not blow a trick. The singleton diamond is concerning, and I want an aggressive lead.

#3 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-11, 04:27

View PostDavidKok, on 2020-July-11, 00:58, said:

Which card to lead depends on partnership agreements, but for me the choice would also be between the queen of spades and the three of hearts.

That being said, this is a tough decision. On the bidding West likely has 3 or fewer spades, and East will not have five of them. The suit is likely to break 4-4-3-2 or 4-3-3-3, which means if partner gets the lead once or twice you could pick up four tricks there even opposite just xx(x). Leading them might well hand declarer a spade trick they don't deserve. But leading a heart is similarly risky - partner needs quite some values before we can promote a heart, especially since you want partner to focus on spades. Leading a heart only seems winning if partner has something like KJxx or KTxxx.

At the table I would lead the queen of spades, and pray for either West or South to have the king of spades so I did not blow a trick. The singleton diamond is concerning, and I want an aggressive lead.

The only addition I can make to this thorough reply from David is that when leading the Q from an internal sequence like this, declarer will possibly not have any indication who has the ace. Declarer with Kxx may well duck the first trick hoping to sever communications. On this lead, however, any self-respecting South who's holding the ace should cover and return the suit but not all players would do that, especially with a doubleton Ax covering an honour with an honour. If West decides to duck for any reason, this may well provide you with a tempo and information what to do next.

#4 User is offline   aawk 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-12, 05:46

Queen of what else, maybe a new partner if he does not get that leading a Q shows QJ9x AQTxx or better.

And yes you could hold Qx but than your partner has way more hcp than you and should know you try to find his best suit.

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-July-12, 07:47

phoenixmj "Given the auction, I would think that it would be good to lead a major. Question is, which major? Also, I think that if the decision is to lead spades, the proper card to lead would be the Queen. If Hearts were led, the proper card I think would be the 3. What would you lead and also, please comment on whether my statement is correct on which card given spades or hearts as a lead.Also, any reasoning behind the lead will be appreciated."
++++++++++++++++++
I rank
1. Q Probably gives declarer a trick but might set up 3 tricks for the defence.
2. 3 Just as dangerous but (IMO) less hopeful.
3. 2 More passive but might be declarer's suit. Likely GIB choice.
4. 2 But you probably can't get a ruff :(

#6 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-12, 08:09

View Postphoenixmj, on 2020-July-10, 22:36, said:

Given the auction, I would think that it would be good to lead a major. Question is, which major? Also, I think that if the decision is to lead spades, the proper card to lead would be the Queen. If Hearts were led, the proper card I think would be the 3.

What would you lead and also, please comment on whether my statement is correct on which card given spades or hearts as a lead.

You have distorted the question (maybe intentionally) by giving north the 9. Leading an honor from AQJ2 will block the suit too often for my taste.

Carl

#7 User is online   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-12, 10:51

It depends if partner is one of those wooden "return partner's suit" types or if partner can look at dummy and their hand, count out declarer, and figure out what you must have (or what you must have in order for the contract to go down).

#8 User is offline   Huibertus 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-12, 10:53

Tough question. In reality I would lead Q, but might be better. If leading , one should consider the 7. If Spade King does is not in Dummy and partner does have Ace, a switch would be very welcome and often lead to one off at trick 5, declarer having KX.

#9 User is offline   Huibertus 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-12, 10:57

View Postakwoo, on 2020-July-12, 10:51, said:

It depends if partner is one of those wooden "return partner's suit" types or if partner can look at dummy and their hand, count out declarer, and figure out what you must have (or what you must have in order for the contract to go down).

True, but in part it also depends on how inflexible one leads 4th best of a 4 card. I would certainly consider leading the 2nd in this case, encouraging even the most wooden partner to switch spades if dummy looks like it might be a good idea.

#10 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-12, 15:17

are you trying to beat the contract (always best) or afraid of overtricks?

#11 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2020-July-12, 16:43

View Postphoenixmj, on 2020-July-10, 22:36, said:

I don't like leading away from honours and tenaces. The opponents bidding has been robust. My choice of lead is the 10.
It is safe,non-committal and doesn't give anything away as a lead from either major would..
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#12 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-13, 11:56

depends on the game your are playing
leads with best chance of beating is small heart or a small club and even then it is only about 26%
Q 3.67 tricks
A 3.59 tricks
small 3.55 tricks

generated 1000 hands using Bob Richardsons Lead captain

#13 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-13, 12:14

View Postpigpenz, on 2020-July-13, 11:56, said:

depends on the game your are playing
leads with best chance of beating is small heart or a small club and even then it is only about 26%
Q 3.67 tricks
A 3.59 tricks
small 3.55 tricks

generated 1000 hands using Bob Richardsons Lead captain

A? How embarrassing if your partner's K unblock creates a 10xxx stopper!

#14 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-13, 18:43

View PostPhilG007, on 2020-July-12, 16:43, said:

I don't like leading away from honours and tenaces. The opponents bidding has been robust. My choice of lead is the 10.
It is safe,non-committal and doesn't give anything away as a lead from either major would..

Why robust? looks like11 facing 13.

#15 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-14, 10:02

View Postbluenikki, on 2020-July-13, 18:43, said:

if not robust will changes the odds
so after above post changed the hands to 11 facing 13
the best lead is a
Previous constraints were base on normal bidding
one hand being 10-12 and opener being 13-16 since it accepted invite, opener should be more in points or longer in
diamonds if bidding game

#16 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2020-July-15, 02:47

View Postbluenikki, on 2020-July-13, 18:43, said:

It can't be 13 The 2NT response was invitational asking opener to bid game if better than minimum.
Had East only the bare 12/13 he would be required to pass.Posted Image as game is not feasible.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#17 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-15, 16:10

View Postbluenikki, on 2020-July-12, 08:09, said:

You have distorted the question (maybe intentionally) by giving north the 9. Leading an honor from AQJ2 will block the suit too often for my taste.

Carl

Presumably North has 9 because that's what happened in real life. Yes, having AQJ2 is an entirely different lead problem than AQJ9. Are you really surprised?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users