Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Individual tournaments

#1 User is offline   pilartarra 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-July-09, 06:44

Hi, I have seen that there is the option to create individual tournaments. Can someone let me know how they work? Recommendations about how to create them? Do pairs change during the tournament so that it ends with an individual winner? I guess it’s better to have individual tournaments with a small number of players. Is there a recommended number of rounds per number of players?

#2 User is offline   D_H_D 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-July-09, 16:19

Different partner each round. Nice with 4 tables, 15 one-board rounds. Everyone partners everybody else, and never meet the same pair. Worked really well. Best if everyone plays the same system - reduces confusion and time - so perhaps with a group of improvers who have been taught the same system. Or Christmas party with a few glasses of wine.

#3 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-July-10, 01:55

They work best when the number of entries is a multiple of four, and worst when it is one more. So it helps to either be ruthless in cutoff or to have a volunteer who will drop out if necessary.

If you do have vacant places then replace them with robots, not human subs. Robots play their own system but at least they finish the tournament without causing trouble.

Don't use unclocked unless they are all experienced BBO players and you are not really interested in the classification.

Do impose a convention card (even if not with the BBO mechanism which unfortunately does not allow you to impose your own card).

#4 User is offline   vEBU201789 

• Pip

Posted 2020-December-21, 17:53

View PostD_H_D, on 2020-July-09, 16:19, said:

Different partner each round. Nice with 4 tables, 15 one-board rounds. Everyone partners everybody else, and never meet the same pair. Worked really well. Best if everyone plays the same system - reduces confusion and time - so perhaps with a group of improvers who have been taught the same system. Or Christmas party with a few glasses of wine.

I want to run an Individual Tournament. It will be a partial movement, because with n players I’ll have less than n-1 rounds. Can you tell me if I need any special settings other than changing "Pairs" to "Individual"?

#5 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-December-22, 02:06

I hope not since this is all I am planning to do Posted Image

You are welcome to plagiarise my event information if it is of any use, including the system card: https://berwickbridg...ual-information

Note that BBO Extractor does not support individuals.

Update: BBO Extractor has supported individuals since March 2021.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users