Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB notations

#1 User is offline   queenk 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-July-08, 13:08

On each board played there is an option along the bottom "GIB. When this is activated there are notations such as: "=", 1, perhaps 1 in red, maybe 2 or 2 in red. I think they are indicating the card the robots feel is the correct lead in the suit you have chosen. Would appreciate an explanation.

#2 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-July-08, 13:34

I think you are referring to the double dummy analysis? If so, it is showing the number of over- or undertricks that will be made with optimal play after selecting that card.

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-July-08, 13:37

View Postqueenk, on 2020-July-08, 13:08, said:

On each board played there is an option along the bottom "GIB. When this is activated there are notations such as: "=", 1, perhaps 1 in red, maybe 2 or 2 in red. I think they are indicating the card the robots feel is the correct lead in the suit you have chosen. Would appreciate an explanation.

GiB shows the result at double-dummy (perfect play seeing all 4 hands)
if you choose to play the designated card.
  • = (Equals) means the contract makes.
  • Numbers indicate undertricks (red) or overtricks.

#4 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-08, 13:53

To be clear about the numbers:

= means that if this card is played, nobody can do better than making provided everyone plays perfectly(*) thereafter.
1 in green means that if this card is played, the perfect play result is making with one overtrick.
1 in red means that the perfect play result from that play is down one.
bigger numbers should be obvious.

(*) "Perfect" means "everybody looks at each other's cards, and *knowing everything* makes the best play at every opportunity". That does not mean "best percentage play" - if you have to make a first-round finesse against the 8, you'll know to do it. That does not mean "best systemic play" - if you have to underlead your ace so partner gets the third round ruff, or play the 7 to unblock (even though that's a "discouraging signal", you'll do it. This is also known as "double-dummy play" - because if there are two dummies, you know where every card is.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users