Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Calculation Masterpoint

#1 User is offline   RKamieth 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-July-08, 07:30

How is the number of masterpoints calculated?
I think it depends on the number of tables. But how?

#2 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-July-08, 08:22

View PostRKamieth, on 2020-July-08, 07:30, said:

How is the number of masterpoints calculated?
I think it depends on the number of tables. But how?

http://web2.acbl.org...tion/MPBOOK.pdf

#3 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-August-25, 20:44

Masterpoints are supposed to provide players with some sort of idea of their skill level. To some extent this is true. Possibly the simplest way to understand masterpoints for the average player/newcomer to the game is from the image below.

Moments ago I played in an ACBL tournament on BBO. There were 15 players.

You can see the rankings on the left and the masterpoints on the right. The graph at the top shows the distribution of masterpoints amongst the players and below after a logarithmic transformation.

What this shows is that to get a masterpoint you need to be in the top half. It is just like pH. Below half is basic, and above half is acid - tasty: roughly speaking.

Not all Bridge competitions work this way, and in other formats it can be different.

A lot of people come to Bridge from individual sports such as Chess (I did) where ranking systems such as the Elo system are used. This method means that each players rank increases when they defeat a higher ranked player and falls when they lose to a lower ranked player. Bridge is complicated by having pairs.

In some ways, masterpoints can be considered a licence to print money. You want to have fun playing bridge and testing your skill. This requires a certain amount of infrastructure and skill on the part of the organisation running the competition, Masterpoints are the currency. Of course, whenever money is involved everyone wants more than their fair share.

Posted Image
Non legit hoc

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users