BBO Discussion Forums: TD functions better but not satisfactory - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TD functions better but not satisfactory

#1 User is offline   LionHeart1 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-July-05, 07:31

A TD has two basic functions during managing a tournament: substitution and adjustment.
The Flash Player version gave a satisfactorz solution for the substitution. I audited the substitution list and if I did not find an appropriate substitute, I chose a random one by leaving the subs name empty. In the newest version this is not possible. The "choose a sub" and the "choose any" are two different menus, so I must take an unnecessary step to reach the same result. And it costs time.
At the adjustment there are two significant problems. In order to decide the result of an unfinished deal I must replay it until it was made by at the table. But sometimes I cannot recall the deal, it infinitely shows the wait window and nothing happens. I got an explanation from the BBO stuff that sometimes it takes time to look for the deal among the numerous ones. And the Flash Player version? Why could it immediately show the deal? And as soon as this wait status happens the deal will never come in. The other problem would be odd way solved. Now the default value for a deal is the bidden contract, but in the result field I see the achieved tricks of the declarer. In the Flash version the default value was the exact completion and it was simpler to increase or decrease the number of tricks by 1 or 2 (as usually the case was), than to enter a number.
The TD always works under time pressure. Why is his task made more difficult by these unnecessary features?

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-July-05, 08:04

View PostLionHeart1, on 2020-July-05, 07:31, said:

A TD has two basic functions during managing a tournament: substitution and adjustment.

Not how I see the role - for me substitution is something the system could handle itself and adjustment is just one consequence of the basic function, ensuring conformity to laws and regulations.

The Flash Player version gave a satisfactorz solution for the substitution. I audited the substitution list and if I did not find an appropriate substitute, I chose a random one by leaving the subs name empty. In the newest version this is not possible. The "choose a sub" and the "choose any" are two different menus, so I must take an unnecessary step to reach the same result. And it costs time.

Makes sense, although as I see it the best solution would be to let the system handle all substitution (with robots) and reentry.

In order to decide the result of an unfinished deal I must replay it until it was made by at the table. But sometimes I cannot recall the deal, it infinitely shows the wait window and nothing happens. I got an explanation from the BBO stuff that sometimes it takes time to look for the deal among the numerous ones. And the Flash Player version? Why could it immediately show the deal?

IIRC it is not exact that nothing happens - you get a brain-dead little grid instead of the board and an error message something like "Not available". But effectively you are stuck and can only try again later.
The odd thing is that this is not even systematic, it will fail for one player but work for another, even at the same table.
The oddest bug of all is that if you have just looked (successfully) at a board then when you try to look at the same board from a different table the system will sometimes show the first table again instead.

Now the default value for a deal is the bidden contract, but in the result field I see the achieved tricks of the declarer. In the Flash version the default value was the exact completion and it was simpler to increase or decrease the number of tricks by 1 or 2 (as usually the case was), than to enter a number.

It is even worse when you use "Adjust score" after the system has assigned an artificial score like 50%-50%, then you have to manually enter the contract and declarer and the number of tricks defaults to zero. All this not only creates unnecessary work but also increases risk of error. The artificial score (if any) should be in a separate field and should not cancel display of the original contract and declarer.

#3 User is offline   peterb001 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-05, 15:10

View Postpescetom, on 2020-July-05, 08:04, said:

IIRC it is not exact that nothing happens - you get a brain-dead little grid instead of the board and an error message something like "Not available". But effectively you are stuck and can only try again later.
The odd thing is that this is not even systematic, it will fail for one player but work for another, even at the same table.
The oddest buf of all is that if you have just looked (successfully) at a board then when you try to look at the same board from a different table the system will sometimes show the first table again instead.

From my experience, you always have at least a delay (and regularly nothing ever happening) on the V3 interface if you are already viewing a table or another deal 'underneath' the hand review that you are trying to look at. If first of all you use the 'Home' button to clear the screen, (you can still then use 'view tables' and right click on one of the player's concerned to view 'Player's scores', then click on the relevant line of their scores) then the hand you want appears fairly quickly. And if it doesn't, close it and try again. It is a little hit and miss!!

#4 User is offline   bjacobs 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-July-05, 20:17

I find that having viewed the details of a board, I cannot view that same board again at a different table.

The only solution is to log off then log back on, which starts afresh.

#5 User is offline   LionHeart1 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-06, 04:16

View Postbjacobs, on 2020-July-05, 20:17, said:

I find that having viewed the details of a board, I cannot view that same board again at a different table.

The only solution is to log off then log back on, which starts afresh.

You are right! It is really so. To log off and log on again costs a lot of time. The players are impatient, if I do not correct their unfinished deals within 3 seconds I get the TD calls. If there are more then one unfinished deal in a round, this is an impossible mission.

#6 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-July-06, 05:05

View PostLionHeart1, on 2020-July-06, 04:16, said:

You are right! It is really so. To log off and log on again costs a lot of time. The players are impatient, if I do not correct their unfinished deals within 3 seconds I get the TD calls. If there are more then one unfinished deal in a round, this is an impossible mission.

We'll fix this bug in the next BBO upgrade. Sorry for the inconvenience.

#7 User is offline   LionHeart1 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-11, 10:40

View Postdiana_eva, on 2020-July-06, 05:05, said:

We'll fix this bug in the next BBO upgrade. Sorry for the inconvenience.

The version 5.6.5 came out and no change. :-(

#8 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-July-11, 11:46

View PostLionHeart1, on 2020-July-11, 10:40, said:

The version 5.6.5 came out and no change. :-(

Yes, some unexpected side effects occurred so we had to roll back these fixes and test some more.

#9 User is offline   LionHeart1 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-14, 04:36

View Postdiana_eva, on 2020-July-11, 11:46, said:

Yes, some unexpected side effects occurred so we had to roll back these fixes and test some more.

As a former software developer I can understand this.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users