BBO Discussion Forums: How can I post hands without the players names? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How can I post hands without the players names?

#1 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-July-04, 01:45

I like to post hands to the forum and would like to include the whole hand, but I do not want to "shame" anyone.
So how can I post the hand with all the history but no names?
Maybe someone at BBO could add this facility to the export function or hand viewer

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-July-04, 02:01

It would also be nice to be able to hide bidding or play.

Another minor related issue is that when one opens the tiny url supplied by Export in a new tab of Chrome it is necessary to refresh the tab before third party software can analyse the hand diagram. Not sure if this depends upon BBO but if it does it would be nice to fix.

#3 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-04, 02:58

It works like this. Take a tiny URL.
https://tinyurl.com/yaxkboxv
which looks like this.
not much there right! just put it into the chrome tab. Hit enter and it expands into: You will have to take my word for it because the Forum software has truncated it. just copy the URL into the browser space and read it carefully.
''''://www.bridgebase.com/tools/handviewer.html?lin=st||pn|anai76,pilowsky,maryjuli,Nywoman|md|1ST72H762D754C8432,SAJ54H8DKQJ62CKQ6,SQ93HJ543DT98CT97,SK86HAKQT9DA3CAJ5|sv|b|rh||ah|Board%207|mb|P|mb|1N|mb|P|mb|2D|mb|P|mb|2H|mb|P|mb|3C|mb|P|mb|3N|mb|P|mb|6N|mb|P|mb|P|mb|P|pc|HJ|pc|HQ|pc|H2|pc|H8|pc|HA|pc|H6|pc|S4|pc|H3|pc|HK|pc|H7|pc|S5|pc|H4|pc|HT|pc|D4|pc|D2|pc|H5|mc|13|
If you look closely you can see all the bidding and other information there.
Let's change some of it. I have had to remove the "https" and replace it with " '''' " because otherwise, the Forum software turns the link into GIBberish.
''''://www.bridgebase.com/tools/handviewer.html?lin=st||pn|anai76,pescetom,maryjuli,Nywoman|md|1ST72H762D754C8432,SAJ54H8DKQJ62CKQ6,SQ93HJ543DT98CT97,SK86HAKQT9DA3CAJ5|sv|b|rh||ah|Board%207|mb|P|mb|1N|mb|P|mb|2D|mb|P|mb|2H|mb|P|mb|3C|mb|P|mb|3N|mb|P|mb|6N|mb|P|mb|P|mb|P|pc|HJ|pc|HQ|pc|H2|pc|H8|pc|HA|pc|H6|pc|S4|pc|H3|pc|HK|pc|H7|pc|S5|pc|H4|pc|HT|pc|D4|pc|D2|pc|H5|mc|13|
Hey presto! Brian (pescetom) is playing instead of me.
If you want to convert this back into a tinyurl, just copy the whole thing and go to a site called tinyurl.com where you can make as many tinyurl's as you want for nothing.
Here it is as a tiny URL https://tinyurl.com/ydeqc5j7
Alternatively if you want to store the whole thing in a document on a Mac highlight the word and use command kv or cntrl kv on a pc.
These are lin files all the card play and bidding and name info is stored in this string. Look closely, You can change the bidding, the order of play anything at all.
Double dummy data can be found by attaching the bridgesolver addon to chrome.
In fact, you do not need to copy or paste anything. I can do the whole lot in a few seconds during play. and see the double-dummy solution immediately after a hand is played in between rounds. Yet another good reason for playing on the internet.

#4 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-04, 03:59

Incidentally, the 'export hand' function in the Flash version resulted in a far simpler URL format, where it was trivial to make changes, like removing or replacing names, the auction, and the play, without the massive complexity and length of the lin format. Can BBO please switch back to that method?

Quote to see it..

#5 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-04, 04:48

I'm sure there are a lot of things that BBO could do if there was money in it. But there isn't. In the world where I used to work, I would pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for equipment and go to training sessions costing hundreds/thousands. The help desk was remarkably useful and receptive. I began working when Cambridge Electronic Design was acquiring data for scientists using DOS. Even though they would chuckle when I requested an additional feature, it would eventually arrive. Greg Smith and his colleagues are the grease that keeps the scientific engine of the world operating - along with a few competitors in the US and Australia. No technical achievements, No vaccine or other advances. Unfortunately, Bridge is different. Nobody cares. But they should. A small investment in getting this site right would have carry-over effects into the 'real' world. To say nothing of making all of us happier. My first post on this site was made in the spirit of someone coming from that environment. looking back I can see how it made no sense at all to this audience. I can now understand clearly why it did not receive any of the answers that I anticipated.
BBO is my main Club. I pay membership and participate in its tournaments. As a member of the community and a stakeholder, I would like to see it improve.

#6 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-04, 21:42

Speaking of protecting the "innocent" and not shaming anyone, this happened a moment ago
https://tinyurl.com/y7yhauxv
Mind you, it also happened once at the Club. At which point there was a furious Director call: "You can't...", but apparently you can - even when a Director is present. Some people have no shame.

#7 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-July-04, 21:59

Pilowsky "Speaking of protecting the "innocent" and not shaming anyone, this happened a moment ago"
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Perhaps West had seen East play a hand before :)

#8 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-04, 23:13

As they say some things are best said unsaid

#9 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-05, 10:18

I am reminded of a (again, flighted event, and this was flight A) where I got called to the table after the auction went (1NT)-2! [asked and explained as "Cappelletti" - any 1-suiter]-AP. "But in Cappelletti, doesn't responder have to bid 2 to find out which suit they have?"

"Well, that's the system, but people are allowed to make any call they wish on a particular hand. Please lead. [mycroft sneaks a peek at the HR to ensure my guess was right before saying] I think you may find [waits for the lead] that dummy has a fair number of clubs [dummy starts by dropping AQJ9xx]... Finish the hand, please."

I am continually surprised by the number of (frequently very experienced) players who follow system religiously, and can't even guess what it would mean if someone didn't. Be it this one, or p-1NT; 2-p ("I hope I wasn't wrong this time, pd." She was right - clubs played at least a trick better than any other suit; she was also wrong - I dropped a 4=4=3=2 10-count. +130 didn't score well), or 1NT-2; 4 ("I guess partner noticed his clubs were also spades?"), or even things like ...4NT-5; 5NT-7 ("aren't you supposed to tell her what king you have?" "If she's asking, I have enough. I hope this bid gives her what she needs to decide hearts or NT").
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users