• You cannot reply to this topic

How should we have bid this?

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-July-02, 15:30

MPs:

2 was alerted as weak either major. I didn't fancy passing planning to come in next time, as there was a risk it wouold be in 3 or 4 by then so I decided to double to show values. I interpreted partner's double as showing values and likely not four spades, so I decided to bid my best suit, and she put me in game. With the very favourable layout the ace of hearts is the only loser. Ideally we should be in 3NT although it is far from certain at first glance.

What is a better way to bid this hand? Problem is we haven't discussed how to deal with the multi, because it almost never comes up. I'll have to look up a multi defence.

#2 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-02, 15:59

Over here the Multi 2 opening is considered a Highly Unusual Method, and allows the opponents to bring a written defence (which may be consulted during the bidding). This solves almost all the problems.

As for what defence in particular to use, it is popular to use a take-out double as two-way, showing either a weak balanced hand that just wants to compete (say 11-13 points) or a hand that is too strong for a direct overcall (say 18+ points, any shape). Direct bids have very specific meaning (5/6+ cards with a solid but limited opening), and the remaining hands that wish to compete pass for one round to enter on the second round.

One important advantage of being able to use a written defence is that you can use different methods for 2nd and 4th seat without the risk of forgetting them. Another disadvantage of the multi in particular is that second hand 'always' gets to bid again, so the defenders have a lot more bidding options than normal after a pre-emptive bid. Almost any normal defensive method that makes use of this will put you in a solid position against the multi.

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-02, 16:12

View PostDavidKok, on 2020-July-02, 15:59, said:

Over here the Multi 2 opening is considered a Highly Unusual Method, and allows the opponents to bring a written defence (which may be consulted during the bidding). This solves almost all the problems.

In EBULAND the multi is very normal, and no written defences allowed.

There are several ways of defending it and you are lucky that S was not exhibiting a pulse and didn't push it to the 4 level.

What we play:

2M nat 5+, 2N strong no trump ish, 3m nat, pass then 3m 5+m/4OM, X 12-14 bal or big so we would pass and it would start 2-P-2-X(takeout of hearts)- and then 2nd seat would show 4 spades and a heart stop through lebensohl and you'd either find diamonds later or play 3N. 6 is not that great, you wouldn't be surprised to find AJ10xxx and K

#4 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-02, 17:33

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-July-02, 16:12, said:

In EBULAND the multi is very normal, and no written defences allowed.

There are several ways of defending it and you are lucky that S was not exhibiting a pulse and didn't push it to the 4 level.

I agree, if I were South I'd have blasted 4 pass or correct.

Thanks for the defence suggestion. The more I play recently the more gaps I am finding in my partners and my agreements, so I am trying to plug holes as they appear.

#5 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-July-03, 03:50

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-July-02, 16:12, said:

Couldn't agree more. What's the point of having the Multi in your bidding armoury if you don't understand its pre-emptive value with South wimping out with 2. Any respectable N/S pair would be bidding to the four level on the first round, I feel, and then sacrificing at the five level later on. The only slight downside being is that it could potentially push E/W into a makeable small slam (as the cards lie.)

Maybe South got the jitters that for once North had a big hand, a variant of most Multis, and didn't want to commit.

However, even if you somehow arrive in a 3NT contract as E/W, a competent South will always be bidding 4

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-03, 04:03

Your auction is very reasonable.

I don't think that W's double should suggest less than four spades, though. E can have just two spades, so W needs five spades for a 2 freebid. I would therefore have bid 2 as East although 3 is of course also a reasonable bid.

It's probably good to play transfers in West's position, so W can start with 2NT as transfer to clubs. Without that gadget, W will have to double with most strong hands. But even with the gadget, it's reasonable to double.

I am not sure what a 3 bid would mean in W's position. Without transfers, you probably need 3 as some kind of artificial force here, but 3 as natural is also nice to have, especially if North is prone to psyching a pass of 2 even if he has spades.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-03, 04:16

View PostFelicityR, on 2020-July-03, 03:50, said:

Maybe South got the jitters that for once North had a big hand, a variant of most Multis, and didn't want to commit.

Even that doesn't make sense, as the multi was weak either major, no mention of a strong option, so blasting to 4M is even more obvious (unless North forgot to include the strong option in the explanation).

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-03, 04:46

View PostFelicityR, on 2020-July-03, 03:50, said:

Couldn't agree more. What's the point of having the Multi in your bidding armoury if you don't understand its pre-emptive value with South wimping out with 2. Any respectable N/S pair would be bidding to the four level on the first round, I feel, and then sacrificing at the five level later on. The only slight downside being is that it could potentially push E/W into a makeable small slam (as the cards lie.)

However, even if you somehow arrive in a 3NT contract as E/W, a competent South will always be bidding 4

A useful gadget for the weak/strong multi which is not really appropriate for this hand is to play 2-P-3N as 4-4 in the majors, values to raise the strong balanced option to 3N but not enough for slam, partner can pass 3N or bid 4M.

#9 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-04, 01:45

Actually, you seem to play multi better than your opps :)

X is fine un strength but some might have preferred not to have 4S for this action. Otherwise, you pass but then if the auction comes back at 3H, you face a tough choice (is the hand worth a TOX as the 3-level with a dubious HQ and an off-shape that won’t enjoy a 4C reply from partner). So X is probably a better anticipation.

S’s bid is incredible, but your partner showed good judgment with her X, she might then over 3D bid 3S (that can’t be natural after the X, so clearly a stopper and needing H stop for 3NT where you would neverously end up).

With a « normal » S, you probably end up in 4HX (up to -3) or 5D (making or +1) if partner bids 4NT for minors.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users