BBO Discussion Forums: response to t/o doubles after preempt - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

response to t/o doubles after preempt

#1 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-July-01, 17:17

IMPs, all red:

xxx-AJTxxxx-Kx-A

(3)-x-(p)-?

I decided that 4 wouldn't enlighten anyone and 5 would just be a blame transfer, so I decided just to punt 6.

On this particular hand there may be no methods that would work much better than standard methods. Maybe it would be nice to play a slow 5 as a general slam invite while a fast 5 asks specifically for a club control, or something like that. Selling this hand as a general slam invite, not asking for anything specifically, would not be bad. Getting the contract in partner's hand in case K needs protection would be nice but probably only possible with adjective bridge.

But it made me think more generally about this auction: The standard meaning of 4 (GF, ostensibly two places to play) and 4 (invitational with diamonds) probably isn't the most efficient use of bidding space.

What about:
4: spades OR spades+diamonds
4: hearts only
4: two places to play including four hearts

Any thoughts? It would be ideal for this hand so maybe it is adjective bridge after all.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-July-02, 00:50

Helene_T "IMPs, all red: I decided that 4 wouldn't enlighten anyone and 5 would just be a blame transfer, so I decided just to punt 6. On this particular hand there may be no methods that would work much better than standard methods. Maybe it would be nice to play a slow 5 as a general slam invite while a fast 5 asks specifically for a club control, or something like that. Selling this hand as a general slam invite, not asking for anything specifically, would not be bad. Getting the contract in partner's hand in case K needs protection would be nice but probably only possible with adjective bridge. But it made me think more generally about this auction: The standard meaning of 4 (GF, ostensibly two places to play) and 4 (invitational with diamonds) probably isn't the most efficient use of bidding space.What about:
4: spades OR spades+diamonds
4: hearts only
4: two places to play including four hearts
Any thoughts? It would be ideal for this hand so maybe it is adjective bridge after all."

Helene_T's suggestions seem fine. And 5/6 seem reasonable punts. I don't think I've discussed this with any partner.. Without discussion, I guess:
  • 3/3/33NT/4/4/5 = NAT N/F.
  • 5/5 = NAT S/T. General -- not the usual meaning of 2 losers.
  • 4 = UCB Often 2 or 3 places to play.
  • 4 = NAT G/F 5+ .
  • 4NT = ART Old-fashioned Blackwood? :)
  • 5 = No idea :(

Hand corrected as GordonTD suggested.

This post has been edited by nige1: 2020-July-02, 11:12

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-02, 01:53

View Posthelene_t, on 2020-July-01, 17:17, said:

Any thoughts? It would be ideal for this hand so maybe it is adjective bridge after all.

I would have expected 5H to be asking for a club control which, given my stiff ace, partner may well not have. I think I need too much from partner to punt six so I would just wimp out in four. If partner does have what is needed, the auction isn't over yet: a raise to 5H asking me if I've got a club control would get us there.

PS I've just noticed that Nigel has changed the hand and made it a full trick worse!
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2020-July-02, 04:38

It makes sense that

(3)-X-(P)-4 = NAT INV,

but if we decide that all 4-level advances should be GF here, then this becomes an example of the type of situation that I wanted to discuss in this thread. There I suggested replacing "natural" (or ,,, referring to C,D,H,S, respecitvely) with e.g. Lissabon (,,, referring to H,S,C,D, respectively), which in cases where clubs is no longer a possible trump suit might be realised as

4 = "hearts"
4 = "spades"
4 = "two or three places to play including (3+ ) hearts"*, NF
4 = "diamonds".

* inspired by Helene's use of the 4 advance

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-02, 08:31

How about:-

4 = , INV+ ( INV; or +M cog+; or SI)
4 = "pick a major" (slam try in 1 major without a control; or both majors cog+)
4M = nat, to play
4N = SI with a control (switch this with the no control hand type in 4 if preferred, but that only works for )
5 = SI with a void (ParadoX advances)
5 = to play
5M = "bid slam with a control"
5N = "pick a slam"
--
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-02, 15:27

View Postnullve, on 2020-July-02, 04:38, said:

4 = "two or three places to play including (3+ ) hearts"*, NF

Your structure makes a lot of sense, but 3+ hearts is not so great I think. Quite often, opener will have 4-4 in the majors (or maybe four hearts and six diamonds) and it's difficult then to decide whether to sit for 4. So I would like the scrambling 4 bid to promise four. With 4324 we just have to bid anchor to spades.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users