BBO Discussion Forums: Confirmation bias - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Confirmation bias Bad bridge and robots

Poll: Robots (1 member(s) have cast votes)

If I entered a BBO 2/1 tournament a robot would be

1. A Superb partner (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. A Good partner (1 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

3. An Average partner (0 votes [0.00%])

4. A Bad partner (0 votes [0.00%])

5. The worst partner since Godzilla (0 votes [0.00%])

6. I would rather play chess than play with a robot (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-June-28, 07:47

"The endless need to search for evidence that supports our current belief about how the world works."

Confirmation bias is the opposite of what normal adult people should be doing when they approach the real world. In order to sound clever, psychologists call it a 'cognitive bias'. That is just translating it into Latin. In English confirmation bias is simply twisting the facts and picking out examples selectively to suit your own beliefs but ignoring every other example that might disprove what is really going on. On the BBO Forums, a special section is provided for players to vent their frustration about being poor players compared with other humans that did better than them playing the same hand against robots. In the real world, there are other names for these areas.

Do we ever see someone make a post that starts out:

I made a really stupid bid and the North robot tried to rescue me but I was such an incredible idiot that I overrode the robot, bid what I wanted and got into a ridiculous contract, went down and now I want my money back because my partner the North robot - which by the way in my humble opinion I paid good money for and isn't worth S**T should have got me out of the mess and I have 3000 masterpoints and have been playing bridge for 20 years and I'm a certified ACBL bridge Teacher and a well-known Director and I want my money back.

Here's an example.

Here is the link

Here is the double dummy analysis

Like a fool I opened 1 NT and tried to go to 6NT thinking that my partner had the heart Ace. The rotten East robot (like a beginner banged down his Aces and I was gone). Of course, the robot tried to save me and put me into a makeable slam. The worst part was that the best result was 6NTx by some people that managed a different auction and gets a different play for an unmakeable 6NTX. Scoring 1680. This is the second time that I've seen GIB avoid taking a doubled contract down when the possibility was available. Was it waiting for better times? The second coming? A kiss? See what I mean GIB is a terminator It doesn't care what I say. BUT, it makes 'mistakes' just like you do. Did the shouting and screaming and being abusive help? Both GIB and humans 'simulate' in our own way. The result is not always to our liking. Why not have a special Forum area where people can complain about their human partners ..... Oh, wait ...

Why didn't the silly Bot bang down his Aces for those people? Outrageous who cares about COVID-19 this is Bridge. I have rights.

This stuff happens all the time. Where are these posts? Robots do make wonderful "decisions', execute end-plays, squeezes and all sorts of stuff. Nobody seems to care. Poor robots.

#2 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2020-June-28, 08:42

View Postpilowsky, on 2020-June-28, 07:47, said:

Nobody seems to care.

I do:

https://www.bridgeba...097-outsmarted/

https://www.bridgeba...venor-in-a-box/

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic