BBO Discussion Forums: 1430 - then getting to 5NT - reference - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1430 - then getting to 5NT - reference Bidding unbid major - after 1430 - to get to 5NT contract-reference

#1 User is offline   olegeorge 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-June-27, 11:42

Could someone point me to one or more references of the convention - where (usually) after 1430 response - one bids the unbid major to get partner to put us in a final contract of 5NT?

Example: 1S + 2C + 2D + 2S + 4N + 5C + 5H + 5N + pass - 5H bidder can't bid 5NT -would be asking about Kings and forcing

I want URL's to links that discuss this - please!?

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-June-27, 12:25

It is quite an old-fashioned approach though it still sees some play, particularly at lower levels. It comes from the days of regular Blackwood, where 5NT was a follow-up king ask and everything else aside from bidding the trump suit was essentially not defined. So pairs started bidding an unbid suit as a transfer to 5NT. Of course you can still do the same after RKCB, and some pairs do, but most good pairs use new suits as SSA or SKA asks while making the original key card ask Minorwood or Kickback instead of 4NT. These bidding advances have essentially made the transfer method obsolete.
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-27, 12:33

It's a super-uncommon, MP oriented bid, so you probably won't find much discussion on it. Seems only playable if spades are trumps and you get a 5c response, and have the somewhat idle 5h bid available? Or I guess a kickback 4s with hearts trumps, 4nt response, use 5d to get to 5nt?
If hearts are trumps, I really wouldn't want 5s to ask for signoff in 5nt; it really should be a kickback king ask even if you don't play 4s as kickback. Or if partner won't remember such things it should probably ask about the spade king (or maybe about spades in general)

It's a pretty narrow target, thinking NT = same tricks as major. The opps may not manage to cash both aces, maybe you get more tricks in practice playing 5M. Or maybe the missing keycard is trump K, finesse is on, and a ruff brings you to a 12th trick?

It seems to me more useful if you are not playing kickback/minorwood in a minor and want a way to deal with inconvenient response to escape to 5nt. But kickback is better IMO.

#4 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-27, 13:34

Hi,

the scenario is only relevant if the agreed trump suit was a minor.
Playing 4NT 4130 for minor is not really advicebale, ..., peoble, who use this,
use minorwood.

The resason 5NT is to play in a minor key asking seq. is, that 5NT is not needed
for asking purposes.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users