• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Involuntary Trump Leads

#21 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-June-25, 14:31

View Postlamford, on 2020-June-24, 04:29, said:

A couple of times I have tried to lead a spade against a suit contract, and just as I am clicking on the leftmost card, the trumps move to the left and I end up leading the top trump, both times disastrously, and undos are not normally allowed in the play in the competitions I play in. I cannot find a way to stop this happening, other than waiting for the trumps to move, of course.

You can change your settings to Confirm Cards so you have to click twice. That's not a great solution because it's easy to accidentally double click and then the card is played. I don't know why BBO doesn't have a drag and drop option so you have to click on a card and drag it to a hot spot to play the card. You have time to confirm you have played the correct card as you are dragging it and there is almost no chance for error. Same for bids, drag and drop. There are easily available HTML API's to implement this method.

#22 User is offline   Huibertus 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-June-26, 02:25

Fully agreed this is annoying.

You hover over the card you want to lead, prepared to clik on it, the trumps are moved on screen and by the time you click all of a sudden it is a different card...

#23 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-26, 09:14

View Postjohnu, on 2020-June-25, 14:31, said:

You can change your settings to Confirm Cards so you have to click twice. That's not a great solution because it's easy to accidentally double click and then the card is played. I don't know why BBO doesn't have a drag and drop option so you have to click on a card and drag it to a hot spot to play the card. You have time to confirm you have played the correct card as you are dragging it and there is almost no chance for error. Same for bids, drag and drop. There are easily available HTML API's to implement this method.

Or click to select a card (or call) and then click on the table to play and confirm (anywhere else deselects card).

#24 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-26, 12:26

BBO - just change it so that the suits aren't rearranged until the opening lead is made (during the time the dummy is presented, but before declarer can actually click on a dummy card). Problem solved.

Cheers,
mike

#25 User is offline   gbb483 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-26, 14:47

Interesting - this topic has had > 3000 views and only 23 replies, so less than 1 in 100 viewers percieve this as a problem.

#26 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-26, 15:43

View Postgbb483, on 2020-June-26, 14:47, said:

Interesting - this topic has had > 3000 views and only 23 replies, so less than 1 in 100 viewers percieve this as a problem.

I’m not sure how are you came to that conclusion. Are people who have had the same problem supposed to chime in en masse and say yeah me too me too me too?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#27 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2020-June-27, 05:40

A very fast player in my virtual club games has this happen about once every four or five games, when partner is taking forever to make the final pass and he’s got his opening lead practically “half clicked” during that wait.

#28 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-27, 06:24

It's the quick and the dead in this game!
Non legit hoc

#29 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-June-28, 23:27

View PostVampyr, on 2020-June-24, 20:29, said:

I have wondered if they were directors running games before the lockdown. I had thought that BBO were running tournaments. If so, I guess they didn’t have what one would really call “directors“, because then the functionalities that didn’t and don’t exist would have been in place.

The issue is that the director features didn't work as well in the HTML version as they did in the Flash version. Most of our long-time directors used Flash.

#30 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-29, 19:12

View Postbarmar, on 2020-June-28, 23:27, said:

The issue is that the director features didn't work as well in the HTML version as they did in the Flash version. Most of our long-time directors used Flash.

So why is the Flash version not the one being kept? We have to use it when we direct our club games.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#31 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-30, 11:22

Because Adobe is killing support for Flash at the end of the year, and Google will probably disable it working in their browser at that time, if not before. So will the rest of the browsers. It's unsafe, has been for a decade, and Adobe is finally saying that the cost of dealing with the continual stream of found security holes is more than the cost of retiring a massively-used browser platform, now that there is an alternative (HTML5).

This is not a new thing, everyone has known about it for at least a year. And you have been in threads, just like I, that have mentioned it.

BBO really did not want to build a v3 client (or at least, didn't want to necessarily bring the mobile client to the big screen). They were forced to. With a time limit. And that time limit has been attacked by - well, some other issue that affected the number of bridge players using their service. I, too, hope that the things that are difficult in the V3 directing screen get cleared up soon (I know that a massive one was fixed literally the day the ACBL RAH started, and a couple minor other ones during the tournament). Since the directing tab makes BBO money (and a fair bit more of it these days than before), I assume it's a higher priority than other things (categories, grumble, type without click, whine,...) as well.

I see Newgrounds, which has a *much bigger* flash codebase than bridge does, is working on a flash emulator in HTML5/Rust. It would be fun to see if BBOv2 works on it - but the answer is almost certainly "no, and likely never will".
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users