• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can we do better?

#21 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-June-25, 21:50

View PostAL78, on 2020-June-25, 12:37, said:

It is simple to remember and allows you to get into the bidding with any two suited hand of suitable playing strength, if you use 2NT for the minors.

I would like to play multi-Landy and have suggested it to a couple of partners, but there is a lot to remember after the initial overcall, and it is hard to practice it because it hardly ever comes up.

Frankly I think that plain vanilla Landy (X = Pen, 2 = Majors, followed by 2=No Preference, 2+ natural) is better than 95% of what people play against NT. The big thing is using 2c for the majors...with 2d available as no preference, you can (and arguably) should do it with 5-4, or even 4-4 if you're really aggressive.

Especially at matchpoints I think you lose very little by not being to show two suiters including a minor. You always end up playing those at the 3 level anyway, which is just poison.

#22 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-25, 23:18

View PostA Nunemake, on 2020-June-25, 13:52, said:

Why are the same hands repeated over and over. I started playing in March and I’ve play the exact same hand as many as half a dozen times!

Are you getting better results than the 1st time?

#23 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-June-26, 03:56

View PostTylerE, on 2020-June-25, 21:50, said:

Frankly I think that plain vanilla Landy (X = Pen, 2 = Majors, followed by 2=No Preference, 2+ natural) is better than 95% of what people play against NT. The big thing is using 2c for the majors...with 2d available as no preference, you can (and arguably) should do it with 5-4, or even 4-4 if you're really aggressive.

Especially at matchpoints I think you lose very little by not being to show two suiters including a minor. You always end up playing those at the 3 level anyway, which is just poison.

Multi-Landy is just a step up from that, with 2 showing one of the majors, and 2/ showing five of that suit and four of a minor. It allows more opportunity to compete at the cost of not being able to immediately show a major. It is the second round bids I haven't got nailed down yet.

I have played Astro for years, because I learnt it a long time ago and almost everyone I have played with knows it. My main problem with it is it seems to be a good way of getting a bottom by going off in a seven card fit when we could have taken 1NT off. Might be better to play that the anchor suit has five.

#24 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-26, 05:02

View PostAL78, on 2020-June-26, 03:56, said:

Multi-Landy is just a step up from that, with 2 showing one of the majors, and 2/ showing five of that suit and four of a minor. It allows more opportunity to compete at the cost of not being able to immediately show a major. It is the second round bids I haven't got nailed down yet.

I have played Astro for years, because I learnt it a long time ago and almost everyone I have played with knows it. My main problem with it is it seems to be a good way of getting a bottom by going off in a seven card fit when we could have taken 1NT off. Might be better to play that the anchor suit has five.

Asptro is actually a good defence and even sees play at international level. Funnily enough, one of its drawbacks compared with Multi-Landy is regarded as being complexity.

For Multi-Landy, one set of follow-ups would be:-

... - 2 = relay, equal length or constructive
... - ... - 2 = longer/better hearts
... - ... - ... - 2 = 4+, INV
... - ... - ... - 2NT = relay
... - ... - ... - ... - 3 = min
... - ... - ... - ... - ... - 3 = relay
... - ... - ... - ... - others = max
... - ... - ... - 3m = nat, constrtuctive
... - ... - ... - 3 = 3+, INV
... - ... - 2 = longer/better spades
... - ... - ... - 3m = nat, constructive
... - ... - ... - 3 = 4+, INV
... - 2M = preference
... - 2NT = pick a minor (NB: standard Landy uses this as a forcing relay akin to 2 followed by 2NT in this structure)
... - 3m = to play
... - 3M = PRE
... - 2M = pass/correct
... - 2NT = relay
... - ... - 3 = max with
... - ... - 3 = max with
... - ... - 3M = min with M
... - 3m = nat, constructive
... - 3M = pass/correct
... - 2 = nat, constructive
... - 2NT = relay
... - ... - 3m = min with m
... - ... - 3 = max with
... - ... - 3 = max with
... - 3 = pass/correct
... - 3 = 3+, INV+
... - 3 = PRE
... - 2NT = relay
... - ... - 3 = max with
... - ... - 3 = max with
... - 3 = pass/correct
... - 3 = constructive with hearts
... - 3 = 3+, INV+
... - 3 = PRE
--

There are plenty of alternatives though - most, for example, just play 2NT as asking for the minor over a 2M overcall and accept the resulting issues on constructive hands. It does help here if you also play Multi+Muiderberg for your openings, as you can use the same follow-ups to reduce memory issues.
(-: Zel :-)

#25 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2020-June-26, 05:47

Not necessarily true if X = PEN, because you can no longer separate all of

* 6+ M
* 5M4+m
* 4M5+m

using only the 2 and 2M overcalls.

Btw, in Norway, what is meant by 'Multilandy' is typically

(1N)-?:

X = penalty
2 = both majors
2 = long major, could be 5M4+m
2M = 4(+)M5+m
2N = both minors.

[Multilandy] allows more opportunity to compete at the cost of not being able to immediately show a major. It is the second round bids I haven't got nailed down yet.

No, there is not a single hand type that is suitable for Multilandy (with or without X as PEN) but not any of the Astro-like defences. And the cost of not being able to show the major immediately should be negligible if you know how to play Multi 2.

Before doing anything more drastic, how about

* switching to Asptro (in terms of handling major 2-suiters: Astro/Cappelletti/DONT < Asptro < Landy/Mohan/Multilandy)
* not overcalling with 4M5m22 (worse than 4M5m(31) if cross-ruffs are needed)

?

#26 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-26, 06:14

One more thought, if you like both Asptro and Multi-Landy, there is a defence that combines the two together. It is designed as a SNT defence, hence no penalty double, but ought to be playable nonetheless:-

X = 4+; either 45+m, or + with longer/better , or ++
2 = 4+; either 45+m, or + with longer/better , or ++
2 = or
2 = 54+m
2 = 54+m
2NT = +
3m = nat
--
(-: Zel :-)

#27 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-26, 09:02

View PostZelandakh, on 2020-June-26, 05:02, said:

Asptro is actually a good defence and even sees play at international level. Funnily enough, one of its drawbacks compared with Multi-Landy is regarded as being complexity.

For Multi-Landy, one set of follow-ups would be:-

... - 2 = relay, equal length or constructive
... - ... - 2 = longer/better hearts
... - ... - ... - 2 = 4+, INV
... - ... - ... - 3m = nat, constrtuctive
... - ... - 2 = longer/better spades
... - ... - ... - 3m = nat, constructive
... - ... - ... - 3 = 4+, INV
... - 2M = preference
... - 2NT = pick a minor (NB: standard Landy uses this as a forcing relay akin to 2 followed by 2NT in this structure)
... - 3m = to play
... - 3M = PRE
... - 2M = pass/correct
... - 2NT = relay
... - ... - 3 = max with
... - ... - 3 = max with
... - ... - 3M = min with M
... - 3m = nat, constructive
... - 3M = pass/correct
... - 2 = nat, constructive
... - 2NT = relay
... - ... - 3 = max with
... - ... - 3 = max with
... - 3 = pass/correct
... - 3 = 3+, INV+
... - 3 = PRE
... - 2NT = relay
... - ... - 3 = max with
... - ... - 3 = max with
... - 3 = pass/correct
... - 3 = constructive with hearts
... - 3 = 3+, INV+
... - 3 = PRE
--

There are plenty of alternatives though - most, for example, just play 2NT as asking for the minor over a 2M overcall and accept the resulting issues on constructive hands. It does help here if you also play Multi+Muiderberg for your openings, as you can use the same follow-ups to reduce memory issues.

Thanks, that looks like the version I have seen and noted down. I can't quite remember all the 2NT followups through logical rules, so need to practice it, which is difficult when it comes up once in a blue moon.

#28 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-26, 09:08

View Postnullve, on 2020-June-26, 05:47, said:

No, there is not a single hand type that is suitable for Multilandy (with or without X as PEN) but not any of the Astro-like defences. And the cost of not being able to show the major immediately should be negligible if you know how to play Multi 2.

I meant there is more opportunity to come in playing Multi-Landy than playing standard Landy, because there are more hand shapes that can be shown. I like the look of Multi Landy over Astro because of its ability to immediately show both majors.

#29 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-26, 20:15

You lose majorly by not being able to show the major suit directly. PUN INTENDED.

There are basically 3 hand types I care about being able to show against a NT... one major/both majors/penalty double.

I want to be able to show those hands directly, so partner can compete directly and confidently.

Multilandy is NOT an improvement.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users